Jet Motors?

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by tmramrod91, Feb 25, 2009.

1. tmramrod91

tmramrod91 New Member

State:
    kansas
    How much power is lost in comparison to a prop engine with a jet motor? I know there is some loss, i.e. a 80 hp jet would be comparable to a 60hp prop, but how much is lost?

I'm looking at a 40 hp jet mercury (2002, low hours), my question is, would I regret it if I mainly fish smaller rivers, but occasionally get on larger ones like the KS or MO?

Increased maintenance for jet motors?

Thanks for any input.

2. viperdragon6662003

viperdragon6662003 New Member

State:
    IL
    If i remember reading right i believe it is a 10-15% loss in power between jets and props. If it were me i have a prop right now but would love to get a jet just so i can go in that shallow water. I can get into about 2ft of water before i really start to worry then it time to shut the motor off. oh and that is in a fiberglass fishing boat.

3. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    there are many pro/cons for a jet drive on a conventional motor.

Pros: you can get in some really skinny water without having to worry about beating the crap out of your pro.

Cons: you do not necassarily loose horsepower, it is just not utilized as well by a jet drive. thats why most boats with a jet drive utilize a large motor, to compensate for the loss of power that a jet drive will incure.

what size boat are you running? if it is a small boat, you should be ok. also if you are fishing mainly small rivers or lakes, you sould be ok. if you get on larger rivers, you should still be ok, it may take a little longer to get upstream, but you will be alright. your fuel prices may go up as well, since you will be running at a higher rpm to get up to speed, or if you keep the rpms where they are with a prop drive, you will lose speed.

so it is all up to you. if you normally fish in either skinny water or water with lots of debris, then i say go for it. its all about personal preference.

4. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    My jet motor is a 60/40.. The powerhead is a 60 hp motor, but the output is one of a 40hp. I love it though, I may buy a bigger one in the future. But, I won't own another tiller prop. on the skinny rivers I run....rollo

5. Dredge

Dredge Member

State:
    Arnold,Missouri
    I run a 40HP Mercury Jet on an old 18ft modified vee.The power is rated at that of a 30.In the 4 years I've had it,I haven't had any trouble.I fish the Mississippi and Missouri rivers,with plenty of power.I also run in as little as 8inches of water.The only drawback is in the steering.Ajet just doesn't handle qiite as well as a prop,especially at low speed.I'd prefer a little less prefomance to a busted prop,though.Hope this helps.

6. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I think a 40 hp jet is the equivalent of basically a 28 hp prop. I'd LOVE to have a 40 jet! Would suit my needs well to get across some shallows where most can't go.

Bill in SC

7. tmramrod91

tmramrod91 New Member

State:
    kansas
    Thats some great advice. Thanks to all who responded. That gives me a lot more confidence knowing you can run on the MO and MS with a smaller jet.

The rig is a 17 ft tracker grizzly, and I'm pretty sure the 40hp will be able to get that boat moving pretty good. I fish a lot of smaller rivers with debris and stumps, etc, thats why I was real excited about finding a jet engine.

8. puddle jumper

puddle jumper Well-Known Member

State:
    NW.Georgia
  9. Pip

Pip New Member

State:
    pa
    I finally took the plunge last year and went with a 115/80 jet. Tickled with it. Not to mention the peace of mind for the shallow waters i fish.

some of the down falls though are:

Decreased fuel economy vs. a prop

If you have a lot of hydrilla or grass or even a baggy you can plug the intake up and will just have to stop and clean it out.

handling is different. less overall speed

But the benefits are worth it to me.

10. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    I like my jet overall, I have a Yamaha 200, it's probably about 140-150 with the jet. I like being able to run everywhere without worrying about hitting the prop on bottom or submerged stump, etc... But it is much slower than a prop and uses alot more gas it seems to me. Good luck with your decision.

11. tmramrod91

tmramrod91 New Member

State:
    kansas
    Well, I went ahead with the boat that has the Jet Motor. Took it out today in probably 0 degree windchill, and well it def moves fast enough to make your skin hurt.

At any rate, I was surprised by the power and its ability to get on plane pretty quickly, even with only 40hp. The handling I agree is a little more difficult, less responsive than props I've used, but just like anything, once you get used to it it wont be an issue.

Loved driving it. Thanks again to all who put in their $.02. Very happy I made the purchase.