Jet drive on the Missouri/Mississippi River???

Discussion in 'Boating' started by Seth, Aug 5, 2007.

1. Seth

Seth Active Member

State:
    Owensville, MO
    I have a jet drive outboard on my boat. I'm wanting to start fishing the Missouri River near me as soon as I get my rod rack built on the back of my boat, but my buddies dad said he wouldn't advise running a jet drive on it because I would suck junk up in the jet unit. Does anybody else run a jet unit on the Missouri or Mississippi and have any problems?

2. primitivefrn

primitivefrn Member

State:
    collins mo
    Seth, I have a jet drive in a River Pro, Its a inboard, and have run it several times on Missouri, with no problems. they can suck up trash, just learn how to clean, them out. Usually trash comes from around the bank,several of the guy on here have been with me, in some pretty shallow water, and have, had to, just ask Rusty and Troy. cleaned some, weeds out, when river was up and got over grassy banks. normal river channels and lakes should be no problem. hope this helps.Iv'e owned a jet sense 2000.
    Jim

3. Seth

Seth Active Member

State:
    Owensville, MO
    Well I always keep a long shank screw driver for cleaning out rocks and junk I've sucked up on the smaller rivers around here. The only thing that I was worried about was not being able to motor around very well while flying down the river in the fast current. :eek:oooh:

Just for the heck of it, can a person have a jet and a prop lower unit and just switch them out whenever they wanted? The boat came with the jet, but for what water I fish most of the time, a prop would do fine and I'd get back another 15 horse power too.

4. primitivefrn

primitivefrn Member

State:
    collins mo
    Current has never been a problem for me. unless your under powered, you shouldent have any problems go with a buddy, and take his boat too and see how yours does, That way if you get in trouble, you'll have help.
    Don't know about switching lower units, should be able to, not been around lower unite jet drives.
    Jim

5. RivrLivn

RivrLivn Member

State:
    Missouri
    Seth,
    I also run an inboard jet and haven't had any issues on the Missouri.
    I haven't seen it in MO but in the NW where I got my boat, many people run both prop and jet on the same motor and boat. Most of them have a jack plate that raises and lowers the motor to adjust the height for the prop or jet lower unit.