Jerky!

Discussion in 'The BOC Diner' started by ozzy, Jul 13, 2008.

1. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Ok folks lets here about some of those great jerky recipes ya have stuffed away. Share them here with any kind of fish, fowl or game. Heres one I have going today. Just plain old London Broil cut into thick slices. I marinated it in 25% soy sauce and 75% bottled water for 2 days. I shake it every couple of hours so the blood mixes with the marinade. Then right into the dehydrator for about an hour and then I start coating them with teriyaki glaze. I like jerky different ways, sometimes I make it paper thin and brittle, this batch is thick and sticky.

2. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I got a shooter ,havn't used it with the dry mix yet. I can't get away from my time proven recipe that I've used for over 30 years.

1 can of beer
    2 cups water
    equal amounts of each
    [I don't measure ,just pour till I think it's enough]
    liquid smoke
    soy sauce
    2T garlic powder
    2T onion powder
    1T canning salt
    1/4 C brown sugar
    1Tfinely ground red pepper

Marinade meat about 24 hrs,at least overnite
    place in oven,dehydrator,or smoker testing for doneness after 6 hrs.

I like to sprinkle additional garlic powder or cyanne pepper on mine before drying.

This will marinade aprox. 2 lbs of sliced meat.

3. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Dang, forgot the pic.

Attached Files:

4. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Man Mike, your making my mouth water. I gotta try the sticky stuff. I have never approached jerky from that angle. :cool2:

5. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    Talking about jerky, Yeah. my neighbors at the cabin had a jerky making contest last week. I was fortunate to sample the many different kinds they made. From sweet to hot, I liked them all. Couldn't decide on a winner for myself. Thanks for the recipes guys and I need to purchase a dehydrator to make some myself. Looks great Ozzy!!:wink: I wish they could made taste-a-vision on this website!!!!!

Mark..

6. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    The dehydrator I have actually has a thermostat. 95-165. When I cut it with a knife I use the low and slow method. Takes a long time, on 95 usually about 12 plus hours. A bud an ex butcher showed me this one. He has to hide some so his kids dont vulture it. LOL

7. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages

Mark, I suggest getting one that has a thermostat. Some of the ones out there are 1 temp.

8. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    Dang Oz, some of those look like they are ready for the oven, not the dehydrator. I dont really have a recipe, I just use what I got. Usually a lil soy sauce, worchester sauce, water, salt, hot sauce, beer or whatever to cover the meant and garlic powder to marinade. Drain a lil then put on some peppers and then more garlic powder.

9. porboy

porboy New Member

State:
    TX Panhand
    I don't know if everyone can get it where they live but here in this part of Texas they sell Clyde's brisket sauce that I have used for years. We always add various hot sauces or spices to it. Different every time. Then as we put it in the smoker or dehydrator we put more dry spices, red peppers etc on it.
    My son, who is here for a month before going back to college, puts so much hot seasoning on his that it takes a lot of beer, iced tea or sodas to get it down. Good, but too hot. Just want mine medium. I used to make my own mix but Clyde's was so close and much easier to use. It is also great for steaks, brisket, hamburgers etc. We use a lot of brisket trimmed of most of the fat and sliced approx 1/4 in thick and soaked for at least 24 hrs. When we have deer or elk or antelope we fix it about the same. I like to dry in the smoker when I have time to watch it with a low fire, on the gas grill with the lid open about an inch with the fire at its lowest setting or in a dehydrator as a third choice. We also use a dry spice called Texas Gunpowder to give it a little hot flavor. Have made jerky for years and never made it exactly the same way. We seem to make a lot every year for kids, grand kids, family friends, fishing and hunting trips, birthday and Xmas presents etc. Sorry for the long post. Looking forward to seeing everybody's recipes.

10. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    If you're like me, the problem isn't so much finding a marinade I like as getting something to make into jerky. Any venison I get now that isn't prime steaks gets chopped up for venison chili. And round steak is plumb out of sight; can't even afford it for making stroganoff. But I've been using chuck/shoulder roast for that, and it works just fine; also for swiss steak. Maybe I'll try slicing some up for jerky.

But I started this post to tell about my alternative to venison or beef jerky. Fish jerky! Now just think about it for a minute. Particularly in the northwest, the settlers and the Indians would catch a lot of fish and slow-smoke them over a fire. The only difference in fish jerky is that you marinate the fish in your favorite marinade. The longer you leave the fish in the marinade, the more of the marinade taste it will take on, resulting in very little 'fishy' taste; the taste is similar to beef or venison jerky. It lasts like regular jerky, too; if you can keep it hidden, it will last for weeks without refrigeration. Making it is as simple as making beef or venison jerky. Simply cut it into similar size pieces, marinate overnight, pat dry with a paper towel, and jerk as you usually would. While catfish works just fine, this is a great way to use up less desirable eating fish, such as white bass (or striped bass if you don't care for the taste).