Jerky

Discussion in 'The BOC Diner' started by sambo, Jan 6, 2008.

1. sambo

sambo New Member

State:
    alabama
    Thinly sliced lean meat is a must for jerky . worcestershire sauce , liquid smoke , soy sauce ,and salt is all that is needed to make an awesome tasting jerky . Equal parts soy and worcestershire sauce and one half that amount liquid smoke , and one teaspoon salt per cup of mix . Marinate meat for about one hour , before placing it in the dehydrator , leave it in the dehydrator about 8 to 10 hours , depending on the thickness and amount of meat .

2. randallewis

randallewis New Member

State:
    Louisiana --Shreveport
    How about ground meat? Ever fooled with that. I have a lot of ground venison that I have to do something with.

3. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    i made some last year. not quite the same as whole grain meat yet still good. any recipe that can be used in regular usually can be mixed in with the ground and dried in oven or on dehydrator. i use one of those jerky guns. looks like a cualk gun.

4. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I use close to that same recipe,except less salt and I add a beer and a cup of water to make it streach farther. Garlic powder and onion powder add lots of flavor too and I gotta have my ground cyanne pepper too. I am marinating three goose breasts now and am going to grind and use the jerkt gun to make sticks with them ,I'll let ya know how it turns out.mmmmmmm:big_smile:

5. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Randal, did you simply grind up the venison, or did you mix beef suet with it? While your hamburgers will taste a lot better with a mixture of about 4#--5# of venison to 1# beef suet, for jerky, the less fat the better.

6. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Randal,The EASTMAN OUTDOORS Co. sells dry mix to add to ground meat to make jerkey,they also have jerky guns and drying racks.also a website of that name

7. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages

Gotta try beer in my next batch, sounds good, thanks.

8. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Here's a marinade recipe that works great for venison:

Mix one can of beer, a half can of cooking oil, a finely chopped or minced onion, garlic powder, pepper, and a tablespoon of liquid smoke. Put meat into ziploc bag and add marinade. Squish around real good. Leave in fridge at least 12 hours, and 24-48 is better. Squish bag several times during this time.

9. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Mike the beer not only adds flavor to the jerky ,but it helps tenderize the meat.