Jerky Recipes and tips?

Discussion in 'The BOC Diner' started by foodsaver, Jan 23, 2007.

1. foodsaver

foodsaver New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I got a dehydrator from my mother in law who doesnt ever use it but I am not really sure how long to put the meat in for or what to use for a marinade. I read some of the recipes here for marinades and my mouth is watering! I was wondering what tips you guys might have. I love beef Jerky and thought I would give deer jerky a try.
    Thanks!
    Craig

2. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    The easiest answer I can give you is this....

You have 2 ways of doing it... low salt and high salt. Theyre both high in salt it is just that the 2nd option leaves a more robust salty flavor. Also method 1 is the fast method and method 2 is slow but more traditional.

Option 1) Brine: 1 gallon of water, 6 cloves of garlic crushed 2 tablespoons of whole black peppercorns, 3/4 teaspoon of liquid smoke, 1.5 cups of kosher salt and 1 cup of brown sugar.

Mix all ingredients well in a big container, drop in the meat slices for 12-24 hours, then pull out of marinade, rinse, pat dry with a cloth, then sprinkle crushed black pepper on em and set em under a fan till the outside feels sticky, then into the oven at 175-200 till they're dry and read at least 145 on the thermometer.

Option 2) old fashioned:

4 tablespoons of kosher salt, 2 tablespoons of crushed black pepper, a pinch or three of crushed red pepper, 1 1/2 tablespoons of brown sugar, and 1/2 tablespoon of garlic powder. Mix all dry ingredients VERY WELL in a bowl, stuff 1.5 pounds of precut meat into a container with this incorporated mixture and rub and shake until each piece is VERY well coated. Store in a loosely covered container with pieces of paper separating the meat from touching each other. Store it in the fridge in a spot where you're going to be over 35 degrees but under 39 degrees. You're dry curing it here, so you want to manipulate the moisture to your advantage, eliminate extra moisture, and leave enough for the cure to work with until you can be sure enough salt has permeated the meat. (I know it is confusing but it works easier than it is explained) Every day for the next 4 days in the morning and again at night, shake and rub and do what you have to to turn, toss, recoat, and reset the mixture. You have to be thorough there... you miss a spot and you will ruin the piece. On day 5, give each one a FAST rinse in water, pat em dry, and pop em in your dehydrator until they lose about a third of their weight. When you have done that, you're good to go. This way doesnt have a smoky flavor, but it is a more traditional way to prepare than brining the meat.

Either way you have about a week to eat it unless you vac-seal em (in a foodsaver? :wink: ) and freeze them.

My best suggestion is go buy a smoker. I have probably 200 recipes for stuff preserved that way. :big_smile:

3. foodsaver

foodsaver New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I have access to a smoker as well. I am anxious to hear some recipes for it as well.

4. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Craig i use a dehydrator to make my jerky and i just leave it in the deh. for 10 to 20 hrs depending on how thick i make it i usually check it after 10 hrs and remove the pieces that are ready then i put in ziplock bags and store in the freezer till needed most jerky rec. are close to the same except for seasonings

5. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    You got a food saver. Save time in marinating, vacume.

Adding a package of dry Italian salad dressing to the traditional recipes, gives it an amazingly good flavor.

6. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Craig, this is the way I do it, and I can't make enough of it to feed the crowd around here:

Ingredients:
    Approx. 6 lbs. (hindquarter) venison or top sirloin
    1 cup Soy Sauce
    ½ cup Worcestershire Sauce
    Liquid Smoke to taste (approx. 1 tablespoon)
    1 tablespoon Vinegar (or wine vinegar)
    1 crushed Garlic clove (or powder) to taste
    ¼ teaspoon white pepper (optional)
    ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
    1 tablespoon Salt (or to taste)
    ¼ cup crushed Black Pepper (or to taste)
    several cloves

In a large mixing bowl add all ingredients except the venison and salt. Proportionately dissolve salt into the brine until you have the desired amount of salt for your liking. Place the brine into the refrigerator.
    Cut the venison into strips (I slice mine with the grain) of ¼” to 3/8” thick, width and length does not matter, just whatever suits you. Make sure you cut as much tendon and fat off as possible. Place the venison in the brine and soak for at least 8 hours in the refrigerator.
    The most important part of making good jerky is the drying process. Place the strips onto a wire rack or dehydrator rack so that air can circulate around the meat. I like to sprinkle a little fresh cracked black pepper over it.
    Place the venison into dehydrator or a warm smoker. This can also be done in an oven; place the strips on a rack and place aluminum foil beneath to catch any drippings. Leave oven door barely cracked, and set temp on ~ 150 deg. Make sure the meat is spaced apart for good circulation. Dry for about 6-8 hours in the oven or smoker, using at least 2 pans of mild smoke chips if in a smoker. The electric dehydrators usually take 8-12 hours or more. Check after about 8 hours and remove any that is done, in order to prevent overcooking. Don't be tempted to open the dehydrator too often to check, or you will slow down the drying process. Do not over-cook. The meat should be a little tender in the center, bending without breaking.

7. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Well I dont have a concrete recipe I just use whats on hand and what I like. Im a big fan of garlic salt or powder, italian dressing, country bobs sauce.
    I cut my pieces as thin as I can or have the patience for, seems to dry better.
    I like to marinade for at least 24 hours then drain. Sprinkle the garlic salt or powder and pepper corns or something like that. Lay them out not touching each other on the trays. I usually take the bottom tray and put it on top when its getting close to being done. Id follow some of these guys recipes and maybe substitute things you like for what you dont like.

There is also a jerky gun you can use but Ive never tried it. I think youd have to grind the meat first. Its easy to tell when the pieces are done. They arent rubbery or bloody at all and I like mine when they snap when bent. Might be just me but thats how I like it. Youve got me hungry now, lol.

8. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    That a Keeper!! This Old Meatcutter Been Makeing Sausge and Jerky for over 40 years now and Tommy Told You Right!! Write this one Down Folks it's a Good One.And Take it to the BANK.J.D.
    :0a27: :0a27: :0a27: :0a27: :0a27: :0a27:

9. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    I have a big beef roast in the bottom of my chest freezer. maybe I should thaw it out and try some of these. Im hungry....

10. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    And when you don't have venison or beef to use for jerky, you can always use fish, especially those that don't eat as well as catfish, like white bass. Just use your favorite marinade. Cut small jerky-sized fillets, marinate 12-48 hours, drain, pat dry, jerk (smoker, dehydrator, oven, etc.). Take your time, do it slow, and it will last forever unrefrigerated in a ziploc bag.

11. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    good to see ya around. im still using the foodsavor i got from ya for the 25#m of sinkers. works great.