Jerky Recipe Needed

Discussion in 'The BOC Diner' started by randallewis, Nov 7, 2007.

1. randallewis

randallewis New Member

State:
    Louisiana --Shreveport
    Anyone have a good recipe for jerky out of ground venison?

2. Ketch

Ketch New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    This is the recipe my mom used for years. I always enjoyed it.

Jerky
    6 lbs. of meat (venison, beef, turkey) 3/4 coarse ground 1/4 fine ground
    3 T. Salt
    2 t. Marjorum
    2 t. Cayenne Pepper
    5 t. Black Pepper
    2 t. MSG
    5 t. Liquid Smoke (mix with 5 t. water)
    Mix gound meat, salt, marjarom, smoke mix, MSG, and peppers together
    until very tacky.
    If cooking in oven-press into loaf panslined with foil or wax paper.
    Let stand 30 minutes at room temperature. Put into freezer until frozen
    to make slicing easier. Place in oven (after slicing) at 170 for drying.
    After one hour, turn jerky over and pat down with paper towel to remove
    grease. Dry at least 2 hours to get a chewy jerky or 3 hours for a dry
    hard jerky.

3. randallewis

randallewis New Member

State:
    Louisiana --Shreveport
    Thanks. Do you press into sheets about 1/4 inch between two wax sheets?

I plan to use dehydrator. Mine has turned out to chewy or changed colors and didn't taste right. I was not using course ground meat either.

4. Ketch

Ketch New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    My mom always made them about 1 inch thick, and then cut them to desired thickness. I have used this recipe in my dehydrator and my jerky gun and avoided the freezing process and it worked fine. The coarse meat will give it more texture and make it less chewy as well. Hope this helps.

5. randallewis

randallewis New Member

State:
    Louisiana --Shreveport
    How long do you cook in a dehydrator? I think that has been a part of my problem. I will have strips 1/4" thick and 1" wide. After I put them in zip lock bags the chewy ones would develop mold. Some of the guys that make it have it in zip lock bags like peanuts.

6. Ketch

Ketch New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    You may not be dehydrating them long enough or may not be trimming enough fat off before dehydrating.

7. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Good points in the last post. Some tomes mine will go 8 to 16 hrs. depending on how full. I also rotate the trays around a few times. This seems to help it finish more even. I will start checking after the first 8 hrs. and take off any I find that are done. I have never had any that was done mold.

8. theonecatfishbob

theonecatfishbob New Member

State:
    Wright City, Missouri
    I dont grind mine. I cut it in strips about a quarter in thick. Then dehydrate till it gets pretty firm. I soak my meat at least 12 hours in the marinade I make . I keep it in the freezer. It never lasts long enough to mold if my sons are around.

9. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I like to cut roasts into thin strips as well, and use the thin muscles from the ribs to make jerky. I have made my own marinade, but usually use a product called High Mountain Jerky Cure, in the original flavor, then add some ground cyan pepper to give it some zing. Also, to dehydrate, I turn the oven way down below 200, prop the door open, and place the meat on foil with hundreds of tiny holes poked in it. It takes maybe 1.5 to 2 hours to dehydrate a rack full of meat strips. With the cure, the meat doesn't need to be completely dried out. Without the cure (salt, and sugar), like if you make a liquid marinade without alot of salt, the meat will need to be dried out completely.

I'm gonna attempt to make my own dry cure/spices this year with pickling salt, and brown sugar, and various spices. I'll let ya know how it turns out. If it's bombdigitty, I'll post a recepie.

10. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    hint *** throw a couple of saltine crackers or dried rice into the bag with your jerky when you go to store it. The crackers and rice will absorb any excess liquid and help to keep the jerky from molding

11. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I am tryin to make some this afternoon,I figured fer the first time Id try some premix its soaking so we will see how I do.Using a dehydrator thankx for the tips fellas

12. ldw45

ldw45 Member

State:
    Illinois
    My buddy and I prepared about 10# yesterday......... I prefer it cut instead of ground. I discovered that an electric filet knife does a great job slicing it in uniform thickness.

13. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    I save the deboned roast for jerky. I like to run them thru the slicer when they are not completely thawed. Seems to slice a lot better when there are still ice crystals in the meat.

14. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Now yas got wanting some deer : ) I just wanted to add a few things that may be if interest to people learning. I cut mine thinner than most, mainly because I like mine almost crunchy. About 1/8 cuts. If it gets moldy I really think it's mainly because it needed to dry it longer, common in thicker cuts till ya get the hang of it. What I do it take some out and let it cool, then test it, it will change as it cools down. Even a day later you can throw it back in if you decide to. Thick, (chewy kind) cuts cook longer and I use lower temps, thin ( crispy )cuts I use med heat settings. As far as the freezer it will make it crunchy big time...I love it. Also your cuts make a big different, I would try some cut with the grain and some against, its make a big difference, that way you decide what you like.

MSG, I haven't used it yet but I would like to hear some in-put on it. I use black molasses and or corn syrup in every type I make, never with out it.

Hope this helps some folks that are new to it. I enjoy making it and everyone loves to eat it ; )

-Jim-

15. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    this is late but I thought I would add how I do it.

I got a jerky machine . Some make it in their over. I've never tried that. My jerky machine has 6 treys. The temperature only gets bout 125 to 140 degrees , has a built in fan that circulates air while cooking. Does a good job.
    The leaner the meat the better. I like using deer meat when I have it.
    I mostly eye ball my ingredients. This is how I do it.

First I trim fat, cut my meat into thin slices. Usually no more than a 1/4" thick. I've never used ground meat. I know others have, one day I might give it a try.
    I get Hickory and or mesquite. flavor liquid smoke.
    Too me L. smoke is a little salty so I thin it out a little so I can add flavored salt later.
    Mix 2 parts water to 1 part of L.smoke.
    I pour in a little Worcestershire sauce. Sometimes I add a shot of Tabasco sauce. Add meat , let soak at lease a couple hours. Best over night.
    I'll use the same batch of soaking fluids until I think its become too bloody and then make a fresh batch.

After soaking , I spread meat over counter. Season up both sides and put on jerky machine for 8 hours, depends on thickness of meat. Sometimes I leave it for 12 hours. I let it get good an dry. It comes out crispy but after letting it sit a couple hours, its just right.
    seasoning I use is to my taste.

I shake on lots of black pepper. I like pepper on my jerky. Just a little season salt and sometimes use Jal. salt. maybe a little of both. I only add salt to one side. Shake on Garlic and onion power. I'll add a little red pepper on some, just for me. I like it hot plus it keeps everyone from eating it up so fast. LOL.

seasoning is all about what you like best. Only thing I can say, I dont think you could add to much black pepper. LOL. BTW, I like using course black pepper so I can see it on meat.
    liquid smoke gives it a good flavor.

I've made a lot of jerky in past and everyone seems to like it. Most times it gets eaten so fast, I can barely keep up making a new batch.

Takes a lot of meat. you get about 1/3 or less the return in meat when making jerky.

I did just about a whole deer and have a few small pieces left. some of the black pepper falls off when in containers.
    Couple pics on how it looks when done.

16. dab_602000

dab_602000 New Member

State:
    Ft. Worth Texas
    Sounds like a good recipie Ketch Thanks

17. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I finally done some thinkin bout my jerky recipe an how much of what ever and thought I'd share :
    2 cans of beer
    1 cup of cold water
    2 T worstershire
    2T soy sauce
    2 T liquid smoke
    approx 1T ground red pepper[cayanne
    1Tonion powder
    1Tgranulated garlic
    1T salt[non iodised]ie sea salt or pikling salt
    2 T brown sugar

mix all ingrediants and place sliced meat in a plastic container over nite in ref.,drain and place in dehydrator or oven till dry 6-14 hrs depending on thickness of cuts.,I also grind my meat after soaking in this and use a jerkey gun to form sticks.

18. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I was throwing away a few thousand of my printed recipes, and I ran across this one:

2# lean meat, sliced thin (across grain)
    1/2 cup liquid smoke
    1/4 cup soy sauce
    1/2 cup Worcestershire sauce
    1/4 cup hot sauce
    2 TBS cane syrup
    1 1/2 tsp meat tenderizer
    1 1/2 tsp salt
    2 TBSP brown sugar
    1/4 cup teriaki sauce
    2 TBSP Zatarain's creole seasonings
    2 TBSP granulated garlic (or garlic powder)

Copmbine all ingredients except meat and whisk well. Place meat in mixture and marinate for 24 hours in fridge. Remove, drain, pat dry. Place in dehydrator for about 9 hours (less time for chewy jerky, more time for crunchy).

19. gonecatn

gonecatn New Member

State:
    arizona
    I've never had any luck with ground meat jerky. I bought the works, the seasonings, squeezer thing that pumps it into strips and it dries ok, but you have to dry it with paper towels and it doesn't keep well because of the grease.

I have a vacuum sealer square container that will hold 2 or 3 lbs of meat. Use whatever you have. This can be done 2 ways.

Zip Lok method. Throw the meat in the zip lok gallon bag and put KIKKOMAN terriaki sauce (thin not thick) and McCormick grill mates montreal steak seasoning in with it. Close bag and swish till completely mixed then open slightly and and squeeze air out and close again. Marinade beef anywhere from an hour to overnight, venison I do overnight.

This method is for my freakin gourmet jerky which is the same ingredients, but done with the utmost care. I use my square vacuum container and a spray bottle. First I spray the bottom of the container with terriaki sauce then put a layer of jerky (1/8 " thick strips of any width) then spray the meat with terriaki then sprinkle seasoning then repeat till almost full, vacuum the air out and marinate a couple of hours for beef or venison.

I use the American Harvester Snackmaster dehighdrater and dry for about 6 hours while switching the trays around. It's a real simple recipe and the more steak seasoning you put on the saltier and hotter it gets. good luck

20. cathooked

cathooked New Member

State:
    north carolina
    This is mine for deer:4tbls soysauce,4tbls worcestshire,1tbls ketchup,1/4tsp garlic powder,1/4tsp onion salt,1/2tsp black pepper(more if ya like it hot),1/2tsp cyan pepper....mix it all together soak your meat(cut the way you like)in it in the fridge over night..i dehydrate mine for 6 to 8 hours..if i can keep my kids out of it..