Jerk Baits

Discussion in 'Bass Fishing' started by Mickey, Dec 7, 2008.

1. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Do you like to use a jerk bait? I have had a lot of success on a Cotton Cordell Red Fin. My favorite color is Gold with red belly. How about you?

2. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    I like to use them but mostly in the fall and early spring. However, I've found that I tend to get smaller fish on a jerkbait than I do most other lures and that's been the case from the piedmont lakes I used to fish to the coastal rivers and creeks I fish now. Maybe it's just me b/c I know guys catch a lot of quality fish on them.

I like the big 3 treble Original Rapala in silver/black back for the lake I fish and the same lure in gold/black back for the river and a Smithwick Rouge in black/gold is pretty good in the river/creeks around here.

3. Mickey

State:
    Illinois
    I agree with you on spring and fall. I also own and use the ones you mentioned. I agree they are good. I have also had goo luck with jerk baits in the early am in the heat of summer.

4. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    I have one of them but havent bass fished in a while.

5. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    I thought for sure Big George would have chimed in about Jerk baits? :sad2:

6. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    When I Bass Fish, "Which I dont" :crazy:

I love those Banjo Minnows. Bass are suckers for a Banjo Minnow :wink:

7. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    LOL, dont get him started.

8. Mickey

State:
    Illinois
    I would expect BG to say something like a line connected by a jerkbait and a jerk.:smile2:

9. Mickey

State:
    Illinois
    The Banjo Minnow has recieved some good reviews. I personnaly have never tried one.

10. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Yesterday we brought home 2 limits of 15inch kentuckys. Was throwin Lucky Craft 98 Staceys in tenn. shad and tablerock shad. Had a few fish on wiggle warts but most came off the jerk bait. I lost a really good waleye right at the boat. 15 dolla stacey hangin from it's lip.:confused2:

11. Mickey

State:
    Illinois
    I have several lucky craft pointers and a few staceys. Great bait with a big price tag. They work. Its bad to lose a fish at the boat but when it takes a high dollar baid that is real bad. I like the American Shad color. What color Wiggle Wart was you throwing?

12. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    It's an older wart. Green back with orange belly. The bite was mushy on the stacey but they were defenitly wanting it. As the water gets colder, i'll slow it down but was moving it pretty good yesterday. Threw a gig, and also a grub some but never got bit. Big balls of bait suspended and should have dropped a spoon on them probably.

13. Mickey

State:
    Illinois
    If the bait was balled up the spoon would have been a good choice. I like fishing the old warts. I have a white one that I painted the neck red/pink that has caught a good number of fish.

14. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I buy every older model wart i find. I use a dd22 in the summer across brusg piles but the big baits wear me out if i throw it very much. I can fish a wart all day without feelin like i been stomped by a go-rilla.

15. Mickey

State:
    Illinois
    John do you like to use the mag warts also? What type of cranking rod do you use? What ratio of reel do you use for cranking deep? For the dd22 I use a 4:2-1 and it helps with the constant pressures that you have with a faster retrieve reel.