Jellyfish in Indiana!

Discussion in 'LOCAL INDIANA TALK' started by SkiMax, Sep 21, 2006.

1. SkiMax

SkiMax Well-Known Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    I was fishing the other day and could have sworn I saw a jellyfish. I would have put money on it. It was a little one, no bigger than a half inch across. Well I did some research and come to find out, there are fresh water jellyfish found everywhere in Indiana. They are very small and can not sting humans. Just thought this was kinda cool. The article says that most of the year they are just polypops on the bottoms of submerged logs and rocks. But this time of year there are actually jellyfish out and about. So next time you are on the water this fall, keep your eyes open for them!

2. tomcat85

tomcat85 New Member

State:
    uh
    man, thats pretty cool. ive never heard of that before.

3. SkiMax

SkiMax Well-Known Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
  4. AllenM

AllenM Guest

Cool! Looks like they are all up and down California too.

5. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    thats cool max neat find youl get rep for that from me . wonder how big they actualy get ? are they in the ohio river?

6. SkiMax

SkiMax Well-Known Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    that sight said they were found in the ohio river up by cincy, so i'm sure they are in our area. I don't think they get much bigger than an inch. i am going to Lake Monroe in a few minutes, i'm gonna keep my eyes open for them! I wanna catch one and put it in my fish tank

7. field989

field989 New Member

State:
    east central indiana
    yea they are in southern indiana... around Linton and greene sullivan state forrest in the strip pits... this one guy i fish with has seen freash water jellyfish and he said the water has to be almost 100% pure for them to survive and that they hadnt been down there for years but this was a few years ago but it is still cool

8. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    We were swiming off my dads pier years ago and saw one. 3 of us saw it. No one would believe it but it was a jelly fish! Small but a jelly fish. You have proven us 3 sane!
    Thank you
    Bill

9. SkiMax

SkiMax Well-Known Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    no problem bill. my dad still swears he saw a koala bear in southwestern ohio when he was a kid so i'm sure he can relate to you guys, lol. One article I read (I've done some research on them) says they can show up in a body of water and not be aorund for years. the conditions have to be right for them to go from polyops to jellyfish. and the polyops reproduce asexually and the jellyfish, sexually. another little interesting tidbit. i am fascinating by these guys (biology major here).

10. gcarlin

gcarlin New Member

State:
    Richmond ,Indiana
    Now That Was A Very Interesting Post Brother.reps To You.

11. amcclure

amcclure New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I seen them in Lake Indian, Selena, Tipsaw, and the Ohio River between Louisville, KY and Evansville, IN. Wierd little things. There were so many in Lake Indian in Perry County, Indiana that I caught about 15 in a gatorade bottle in just about 4 or 5 minutes.

12. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    Wow you guys got a lot of neat wildlife! I wonder if we have em' here in pa? probably not.

13. SkiMax

SkiMax Well-Known Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    BUddah, you guys do. go check out that link i posted. there are quite a few spots in PA. The researchers are from a university in PA.

14. Fishgeek

Fishgeek Active Member

State:
    Indiana
    One of our biologists found a jellyfish up north here in one of the lakes. I can't remember which one.

Buddah: Yes, they're in PA too. I used to work in northwest PA I I saw a bunch in a lake (reservoir) one day. I don't remember which one, but I think it was in Elk or Clarion county.

15. whiteriverbigcats

whiteriverbigcats New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I know of a few places where there are lots of freash water jelly fish the biggest i have seen yet is one about the size of a quarter.. they are not very big but they do exsist... i think i might catch me a few and put them in my fish tank

16. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Thanks for posting.I never knew anything like that exsisted!Glad they don't sting humans also.:cool2:

17. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    yes, great post thanks for posting.

18. HoosierPoleCat

HoosierPoleCat New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Well i will keep my eye out for the little critters. Like to see 1 up close & personal. :cool2:

19. Cat King

Cat King New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    i guess we learn something new everyday

20. HoosierPoleCat

HoosierPoleCat New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Stuff like that I would ask fishgeek on. He would be the expert in that field. :wink: