Jeff-Field989

Discussion in 'Trapping & Fur Taking' started by 223Smitty, Jul 24, 2006.

1. 223Smitty

223Smitty New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I wondered how well you liked the Trappers Education class you attended? Did you feel as though you gained any information from it? Also, I may have told you I'd be there, but of course I wasn't. I had that class confused with the one in Elwood, which isn't until September (sorry). But we'll either meet at another one, or possibly at the State Convention in Bedford this September if you are able to make it.

My reason for posting here asking you (as opposed to using a PM), is that I wanted anyone considering attending one could hear from someone who had attended their first one, so feel free to add anything you think others might find useful in deciding to attend a class.

Thanks!
    Smitty

2. field989

field989 New Member

State:
    east central indiana
    oh yeah i learned A TON OF STUFF

and i got a ton of information(like packets and a whole little binder full of info on animals and i got a NTA book with all sorts of VERY usefull information....

I LEARNED A LOT OF STUFF AND MET SOME GREAT PEOPLE...

yeah i noticed u wernt there i even asked this one guy if he knew u and if u were there.... he said that u wernt there lol

but it was great....

there were 3 demonstrations on how to set traps and Bill showed us how to set traps for coyotes and what to do and how to go about it....
    and he showed us how to snare also...

then there was a demonstration on how to trap for coons... which was helpful for me lol

but yeah i would advise anyone to go to one of these...

meet some great people
    and learn a TON OF STUFF

Jeff

3. Redd

Redd New Member

State:
    Southeast Kansas
    Glad ya learned a few things, Jeff...and everyone thought it wasn't possible..LOL jk, buddy. Have a good one.

-Red

4. 223Smitty

223Smitty New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Glad you had a good time & felt it was more than worthwhile to attend. There's usually a pretty good bunch that shows-up at the classes, and you are given alot of good reading material to take with you.

If anyone has an interest in trapping, even if you don't plan on running a trapline of your own, should attend a local class in your area. Contact your State Trapping Association & find-out when & where the classes are held in your area.

If I can be of any help finding a link to your State Association, please don't hesitate to ask.

Thanks for the input Jeff!
    Smitty

5. field989

field989 New Member

State:
    east central indiana
    hey maybe u should rename the thread or just make a new one and cut and paste?

yeah i had a great time

Jeff

6. mattoonboy4

mattoonboy4 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    i was "grandfathered" in to gettin my lisence. would u suggest just goin for the heck of it?

7. field989

field989 New Member

State:
    east central indiana
    welll u will/ or definately should meet some great people and learn alot of stuff

as i did

i had a great time

and if u go u should too

8. 223Smitty

223Smitty New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Jeff-lol, sorry, it wasn't my intent to embaress you, just wanted to get your attention. I can't edit after the 5-6 minute timeframe to do so expires.

Bobby- I'd suggest you go if you have a class local. Same as for anyone who is a sportsman/women, even if they aren't trappers. Never hurts to have alittle better understanding of trapping, as it is often a misunderstood sport which is one of the (if not THE) main targets of the antis, and is tried to be portrayed as "barbaric", which couldn't be any further from the truth.

Smitty

9. field989

field989 New Member

State:
    east central indiana
    OH i wasnt embarrased i am just sayin more people would come and look at it if it had a different name...

i was never embarrased lol

just thinking of a way to get more people on here to look and learn about trapper ed

Jeff

10. channelcat_tracker

channelcat_tracker New Member

State:
    Iowa
    glad you had a good time. hey smitty, where can i find one of them trapping classes cuz my parents want me to go to one?

11. field989

field989 New Member

State:
    east central indiana
    ok

i would go to your iowa state trappers association (if they have a website) but if they do then u would look for a course that is close to u

but smitty would be able to help u more lol

Jeff

12. cuttingout69

cuttingout69 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Gooboy is trying to talk me into taking off work next week and going to the national trappers conv. I am thinking about it. I want to go, it is just hard to take off work, as this will take time away from my trapping time off. Humm, I will never have another chance I am sure.

13. mattoonboy4

mattoonboy4 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    very good point smitty about the antis. i'm a member of the NTA as well and it seems that the news letters are always emphasizing how much the antis r gunnin for us considering we r probably the smallest niche of outdoorsmen. just as long as we keep doin it by the book tho, hopefully there will be trappin to be had by generations to come.

14. 223Smitty

223Smitty New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Tony, here's a link to your State Trapping Association: http://www.iowatrappers.com
    I didn't see any classes listed, but you might shoot them an email & ask about a schedule of the classes.

Also, if you're on any other trapping forums, look for a guy who goes by the screen name of "ADC", he's a good guy who lives in Iowa as well, and could point you in the right direction.

Smitty

15. 223Smitty

223Smitty New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Michael- You ought to go. It was here last year & I wasn't able to go. It's suppose to be here again next year as well, so I'm going to try again, lol.

Bobby- Yep, that's why we as sportsmen & women need to stay united as 1 voice. Regardless if you fish but don't hunt or trap, or any combnation, we all need to support one anothers sport. Once they (antis) get a foothold on 1 sport, the rest will be soon to follow.

Makes no difference if we fish, hunt, or trap, as all these involve renewable resources, and the antis aren't intelligent enough to see that these resources require management, which is what we law-abiding sportsmen & women do, and pay (through licensing) to do it. I think the cost of damages done by uncontrolled wildlife, in states where trapping has been banned/restricted, should be paid for by the antis, not the taxpayers.

Smitty