Jeeps CJ5

Discussion in '4X4 Truck Talk and Repairs' started by catfish slick, Nov 2, 2009.

1. catfish slick

catfish slick New Member

State:
    California
    Any one out their Have a CJ5 jeep. I got a 1955 CJ5 with a 1967 Buick 300 V8 small block engine and it has A chevy truck four speed. thats my fishing wagon. and in the last few days I have had a Bering in the transfer case starting to make a bad noise. I was wondering just how big a job that is to pull that transfer case out. I am on a fixed income and really cant afford to take it to a shop right now, I was thinking if it's not to big a job, I mite be able pull it out and take it to a shop to be repaired, and I may be able to save my self a little money. What do you think. It's ether that are park it for a while. whoo that means no fishing.

2. Salthart

Salthart New Member

State:
    North Carolina

Lots of need to know info missing. You said it was a Chevy tranny but didn't say if the xfer case was mated to the tranny or if there was an open drive shaft between them. Being that this was a cobbled up drive train, it could be anything. Being its a CJ5 I'd think mated but people do some strange things. If its mated, Your going to lose tranny oil/greese when you seperate them so have a pan ready.

But either way, the first thing to worry about is saftey. Its simple enough to remove the bolts and cross members etc but then you have mean old Mr. gravity to deal with. Most xfer cases would go 100 lbs and up and the shape makes em hard to hold and hard to balance. and more often than not they are covered in oil and grease.

So as far as the mechanics go, its a simple enough job to remove and replace. But find someone to borrow a tranny jack from. Believe me, you don't want to eat it.
    Good luck.

3. catfish slick

catfish slick New Member

State:
    California
    sm.
    Thanks Marty, I would guess you would need more then What I told you. Yes the the trans case is mated to the tranny, It is a 1962 Dana 18 2 speed Transfer Case, And it is bolted on to the tail shaft of a 420 Chevy truck 4 speed. I have an album full of pictures that was taken in 1992, step by step when this jeep Was taken down to the bare frame and Rebuilt from the ground up by an old man that lives hear in the town where I live. This is the 40th jeep he has rebuilt. Sadly, I tried calling hem this morning and his daughter in-law said that he lost his wife and could no longer take care of him self and had to go live with his daughter, Thanks Marty for your help.

4. Salthart

Salthart New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Your very welcome. And I am sorry to hear about your friend.

5. yellingrebel78

yellingrebel78 New Member

State:
    georgia
    got something to add to that info make sure you support the tranny with something because when you remove the crossmember the wait of the tranny is heavy if its the one i'm thinking of if you don't counld damage something on the engine

6. catfish slick

catfish slick New Member

State:
    California
    Hey, thanks guys For your help. Yes when this guy Left, Jeeps lost a man with a lot off jeep knowledge He had worked on jeeps sense he was in World war two.Just a great guy

7. Moonlightn

Moonlightn New Member

State:
    California
    What noise? Turn your damn hearing aid down! ........Problem solved!:smile2:
    It works sorta like an out of sight, out of mind kind of thing...

I'd help ya but you still owe me a fishing trip...!!
    I'll call you tomorrow! :big_smile:

8. playin4funami

playin4funami New Member

State:
    Saronville Ne.
    Are you sure it's the transfer case? or could it be the transmission itself? my vote without hearing it or seeing it is the throw out bearing on the clutch,might be something you can fix completely by yourself if you have the know-how. If you don't know what it is for sure anything could be the trouble,get someone who knows to listen to it. if it stops when you push in the clutch and starts again when you release it it's most likely the throw out bearing.

9. catfish slick

catfish slick New Member

State:
    California
    Hey Thanks Ray, Moonlightn, we will go fishing any time you call.

10. catfish slick

catfish slick New Member

State:
    California
    Thanks Don, That was my thoughts also, until I put it up on Car jacks and crawled under it with it in gear, then you could tell just where the noise was coming from. My grandson and his friend pulled it out, and I sent out to be repaired, and eight hundred and ninety eight dollars latter it's back on the road. and it should be bullet proof now. I paid for it with a Gold bracelet that I had found with my detector several years ago. This what I have been saving that stuff for.

11. playin4funami

playin4funami New Member

State:
    Saronville Ne.
    Glad to hear it's back on the road, I love jeeps,they are tough,light and go dang near anywhere,the inkine 4.0 six cylinder is about as bulletproof of motor as you can get. I have a cherokee now that has 250,000 miles on it 4x4 and the only part thats failed in it's life is the alternator which I replaced 3 months ago. My last jeep went 550,000 with only a broke power steering hose and normal maintenence,the body was falling off around it but it still ran like a champ,sold it for parts 10 years ago,the guy that bought it blew his motor and ended up putting in the one from mine as a temporary fix,it went another 150,000 miles before he pulled it and put a new motor in,still was running when pulled. I stay away from the V-8 they put out and full time 4x4,other than that they are awesome!

Last edited: Nov 18, 2009
  12. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    I've got a 1948 CJ2. :wink:

13. catfish slick

catfish slick New Member

State:
    California
    Yes guys, I am so happy to have it back on the road .My jeep started out as a 1955 CJ5, But about the only thing left 1955 is the Body, and not all of it is 55, it has latrer Model CJ grill and 1967 Buick 300 CID engine and a sm 420 Chevy truck Transmission with a Dana 44 rear end. It's Got 1966 Corvette front disc brakes and 1965 Mustang rear disc brakes. It has a 1970 Pontiac sterring column. I has bucket seats out of a late model Ford. And it has a early model Lincoln radiator, Dodge Dart tail lights. New under Dash jeep heater. and a 20-25% overdrive in all the gears. and it has an 8000 lb.winch on the front It Has twin 12 gallon gas tanks built right in to the body on each side in the back. and a Hydraulic parking brake. It is set up so if the Buick fuel pump goes out, all I have to do is Hit a switch and the Electric Fuel pump will Take over. and it has a toggle switch to change from tank to tank.

14. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    I have a 1977 Jeep. It is an Automatic with a 304 V8. Is it a CJ5 or a CJ7?

Thanks,

Shawn

15. catfish slick

catfish slick New Member

State:
    California
    Shawn, Mine is a CJ5, Most people think when I tell them it's a Buick engine,They think that it's an aluminum engine,but it's not. My son had a Buick aluminum engine in a Doon buggy that he would take to the beach. they were a good engine, but you sure didn't want to get them to hot hot.

16. hdfatboy29

hdfatboy29 New Member

State:
    indiana
    i too had a 69 jeep cj5 once with the buick v6 in it it looked funny with the exhaust manifolds turned backwards. even with bald 33,s it,d go anywhere. i ended up trading that jeep off i still kinda miss it