Jeep CJ-8 Scrambler

Discussion in '4X4 Truck Talk and Repairs' started by ShilohRed, Sep 9, 2007.

1. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Thinking about starting a search for one in the next year or so. And redoing one.
    Anyone have one? Or ever own one? Now when they came out I hated them. They were ugly and just bad. But then again I had a 1079 CJ-5 when they came out also.
    But later in years I started liking the looks of them. So now getting the ideal of one with a half cab. To use to tow the boat to some of the ramps. And to just enjoy the feel of owning a CJ again. I had 2 jeeps and always had lots of fun in them.
    So I guess I will get rid of the Old 1974 Dodge 3/4 ton extended cab 4x4 and start the search for a CJ-8 I can afford .
    So any weak spots in the drive train? I about know the motor would be replaced.
    Pete

2. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Pete I had one at one time but to me the body flexes to much causes a lot of cracks in the panels that other wise wouldn't show up on a normal type 7 or 5.
    I have a good old J20 here that I redid a long time ago. I need to get it out and tune it up and run it some. I installed a flat bed on it and built a heavy rear bumper for pulling. She ain't fast but it will pull hades of its hinges.:big_smile:

3. Philiagorillia

Philiagorillia New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Get the jeep, keep the dodge, use the axles from the dodge to do an axle swap, rebuild them with some 35 spline inner and outer shafts, lockers and some 4:56, 4:88, 5:13 gears, check the tranny and transfer case, drive shafts, pop in some new u-joints and whatever need be in the drivetrain, and get a decdent steering setup. Get a nice small block to swap in, piece together a nice lift, find some decent tires in the 35-38 inch range and you should be good to go! I dunno if that helped any or not, just some ideas:smile2: