JAYNC Neuse and Cape Fear Rivers Study.

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by Mark J, Apr 22, 2006.

1. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Today is the day. From 12:01AM 4-22-06 Through 8:00AM 5-23-06 this study will run.
    After that time I'll evaluate participation and interest and may go on longer. A seasons worth of data would be great. A years worth fantastic.

THIS NOT A CONTEST AND NO PRIZES WILL BE AWARDED!
    The idea here is to compare catches from the rivers and build a study data base.
    JAYNC started a thread recently asking which river was better for fishing or trophies. Good idea Jason! We're hopefully going to find out or atleast gather alot of interesting information.

Rules for fish entry are as follows.

Fish submitted must have a picture taken of them on the scale.
    It is not critical to be able to read the scale, that isn't the point.

1) Post the picture of the fish
    2) The weight
    3) Length
    4) Weather conditions
    5) Bait used
    6) General location such as nearest town or city.
    Boat or bank fishing.
    7) Fish have to be caught on a rod and reel.
    8) The boundary lines for the study are from the point at which the Neuse
    and Cape fear rivers originate by name until they enter the Atlantic
    Ocean or Pamlico Sound.
    9) And of course which river it was caught in.
    10) You can submit fish from both rivers.

IMPORTANT - Minimum fish sizes allowed. These marks have been set to encourage participation. We need data from more then one or two people and alot of members bank fish more then boat fish limiting their chances for the bigger fish.

Flathead Catfish --- 15 pounds
    Blue Catfish ------- 15 pounds
    Channel Catfish --- 8 pounds

Participants do not need to sign up and can begin participation at any time.

Lets keep this honest so the data is correct and not falsified like alot of state sponsored or special interest studies are.

tammeej
    Flathead- Neuse River - 38 pounds - 40 inches - windy and cool high water

2. tammeej

tammeej New Member

State:
    NC
    Awesome!!Thanks Mark sounds like a lot of fun.May the best river win,lol.

3. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    By request we'll also submit the length of the fish. The rules will reflect that. Any fish caught hereafter please submit the length. All previous fish will count.

4. joe0580

joe0580 New Member

State:
    north carolina
    i have problems posting some pics so can we send all info to you and you do the posting for us or what?

5. Cattledogz

Cattledogz New Member

State:
    NC
    Thanks Mark. I think this will be an interesting and informative thread!

6. JAYNC

JAYNC New Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    Well friday nights catch didnt count since it started saturday but I did end up catching 5 flats and a blue, flats were 25lbs, 35lbs, 42lbs and a couple small ones, the blue was 16 lbs. All were caught on live breem and eel. I would post pics but you have to make them so small on here that you cant see them very well anyways.

7. dwreel

dwreel New Member

State:
    Southern Pines, NC
    This is a good idea, but for what reason was the Pee Dee river left out ?

8. tammeej

tammeej New Member

State:
    NC
    We went out to our spot tonight and Ron caught another nice flathead.It was a little windy and cool and the water was high.I had a nice hit also but i missed it.The fish was 40 inches long and weighed 38 pounds.He caught him on live brim.Way to go Ron!!

Attached Files:

9. JAYNC

JAYNC New Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    I probably wont be going till thursday evening, but congrats on the nice catch. Hopefully the water goes down a little by then, or at least warms up some.

10. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Study updated tammeej

JAYNC, its going down, get on out there.

11. JAYNC

JAYNC New Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    I will put some numbers on the board this weekend, thats for sure. I will be going tomorrow night, all night because of the incoming weather this weekend. Plus with gas being so high, its cheaper to stay longer and run the boat all night than it is to drive up there a couple times..

12. tammeej

tammeej New Member

State:
    NC
    good luck Jason we will see u there.We wont be out all night though because we arent as young as you lol.

13. RooT_Fantastic

RooT_Fantastic New Member

State:
    NC
    ill get the pic of the fish on here later tonight or tomorow...but a girl on the dock got a 5lb flathead using a piece of cut brim, about 7:45pm on tues.

it doesnt count i know...but was her first, so i thought i would share.

14. tammeej

tammeej New Member

State:
    NC
    Went out tonight and the bite was slow at first.Had a few pulls but couldnt get them.Then about 11:45 i put a piece of cut brim on and threw towards the shore.5 minutes later the rod went down.It was a 44 pound flat 43 inches long.A friend of ours was upstream a ways and they caught a 45 and a 33 pound flat.There not on forums so i know it doesnt count.I saw jaync when he went out and he sent me a tex message saying he already caught an 18 pounder and he was going to stay out all night so im sure hell have a few pics to.It was a fun night.It was calm water Clear cool night and we caught him on cut brim not live.Heres a few pics

Attached Files:

15. JAYNC

JAYNC New Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    Nothing huge last night but did catch 3 flats so not a terrible night, biggest was only 17lbs but just enough to put on here. Hopefully it doesnt poor al night and can get out there. I tried putting the pic on but my camera is an 8.2mp and it is very hard to resize, maybe I will go buy a good photo editor tonight and then post it.

Attached Files:

16. tammeej

tammeej New Member

State:
    NC
    good job jason.glad to see u had a good night.I had a feeling u would catch a few.Hope to run into you sometime this weekend

17. fishin`fool

fishin`fool New Member

State:
    north carolina
    hi im new to the club and went out tonight with some buddys and had pretty good luck in fact i may have even got the state record channel cat and got two nice flat heads one 25 pounds one 15 pounds i will put some pictures up when i figure out how to work this thing like i said im new on here but hello to every one

18. tammeej

tammeej New Member

State:
    NC
    Hello Welcome to the forums fishing' fool!!:big_smile: glad to hear you had a great night.What river were u fishing in?Cant wait to see your pics.congrats sounds like you had a great night

19. Cattledogz

Cattledogz New Member

State:
    NC
    Welcome to the family fishin fool! Glad to have you join us. Where in NC are you and what river do you fish?
    Can't wait to see so me pics. Sounds like an awesome night of fishing!
    Get those 10 posts in so you can post pics!!!...LOL

20. fishin`fool

fishin`fool New Member

State:
    north carolina
    sorry for the lack of info it was late when i posted that !! i live in seven springs and fish on the neuse:cool2: the channel cat was 18 pounds and one flathead was 19 pounds and the other was 10 pounds