Japanese Beetles

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by mikey823, Jul 20, 2009.

1. mikey823

mikey823 Member

State:
    Illinois
    A buddy of mine went fishing at a large farm pond and noticed a little activity under a tree hanging over the water. He investigated the activity and saw Japanese Beetles falling off the tree and falling in the water and something was eatting them so he thought maybe he could catch whatever was eatting the beetles. He baited up with a couple of beetles and immediately caught an eater channel, he kept fishing this way and ended up with 31 eaters and when he cleaned them they were all gorged full of Japanese beetles.

Has anybody else tried this?

:big_smile:

2. Swampfox.

Swampfox. New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    good observation, looking at whats going on around you usually reveals where the action is. wind direction, birds diving baitfish, surface of the water. learning to observe and understanding what you are seeing will put you on the fish.

3. slakltrak

slakltrak New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    I second that !!

4. Angler Ace

Angler Ace New Member

State:
    Pleasant Hill,
    I have had people tell me that the samething happened with caterpillars.

5. hct236

hct236 Well-Known Member

State:
    virginia
    Seen it to when the locust bust out.

6. Catfishkid24

Catfishkid24 New Member

State:
    ohio
    i caught a few the other day and threw them out never caught a cat but i caught plenty of gills and a few bass

7. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Something has happened to the Japanese beetles here; I never thought i would be lamenting their demise (because there's been years they've destroyed corn crops by eating the silks before pollination, defoiliated fruit trees, etc.) but my brother and I were onto something several years ago; we put bait (lure) for Japanese beetle traps in a couple of black willow trees hanging over the water and lured the beetles in and they would stay and start eating on the trees and bring in the fish, mostly fly rod action was all we were after then, big gills and bass, but I remember at one of the trees we brought home some catfish.

I've yet to see the first beetle here this year. After the droughts of 88' and 99'-2000' the Japanese beetle population here was seriously depleted, and still is.

8. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    ........and i forgot to mention that I used to keep a Japanese beetle trap, less the catching bag, in my wife's chicken pen; the chickens loved them and hung around the trap all the time and it was free protein for them.......

9. stoney53

stoney53 Well-Known Member

State:
    PA
    asked that question not long ago in the chat room whether japanese beetles would work for bait no one seemed to know for sure,now i know, guess where i'm headed ? :big_smile:

10. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Frank, if you're going the trap lure/bait route it's too late for this year, you'll have to wait till next year around the end of May thru June cause that's when they're out and mating. The lure for them is a sex pheremone that draws them in. They've already done the mating thing this year. It's only about a 5-7 week window when the trap lures will work to draw them in.