Japan Has A Problem With Our Bluegills

Discussion in 'Bluegill Fishing' started by tomflatcat, Nov 28, 2007.

1. tomflatcat

tomflatcat New Member

State:
    Hampstead, NC
    The keepers of Japan's biggest lake have called on the public to join in one final push to eat the bluegill fish - possibly the most reviled creature in Japan - into extinction before it does the same to threatened native species.

The bluegill's steady destruction of indigenous freshwater fish, almost 50 years after it was touted as a vital source of protein for an undernourished population, is being treated as an ecological emergency and has provoked a rare public show of contrition from Emperor Akihito. As crown prince, Akihito received bluegill as a gift from the then mayor of Chicago, Richard J Daley, during a visit to the US in 1960.

"Bluegills are the ones I brought back from the US almost 50 years ago and donated to a fishers agency research institute," the emperor said earlier this month. "In those days we had great expectations of raising them for food. My heart aches to see it has turned out like this."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/japan/story/0,,2217425,00.html

2. tkishkape

tkishkape New Member

State:
    Gore, Okla
    Just goes to show you what can and will happen when non-native species are introduced. It can be a boon... like the introduction of rainbow trout, or an ecological disaster... like the various species of carp introduced to our nation's waterways.

3. Jazper

Jazper New Member

State:
    Chillicothe OH
    Well I deleted my first post, and here i am again. I have so much to say but I am biting my lip. :embarassed:

4. tomflatcat

tomflatcat New Member

State:
    Hampstead, NC
  5. Jazper

Jazper New Member

State:
    Chillicothe OH
    HMMMMMMMMMMMM:roll_eyes::eek:oooh::tounge_out:

6. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    All this ,From a nation that raises CARP as a food species. :smile2:

7. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Japan need to sent all our bluegills back! :smile2:

8. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I read that somewhere also maybe they need a few flatheads to take care of their Bluegill problem.

9. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    The state of Kansas introduced Rainbow trout into a very large 70' deep spring fed local strip pit a few years back. That pit already had a rep as having big bass and channel cats for over 40 years.

The Ks state record channel (36 1/2 lb) came from that pit...and an 11 2/3 lb largemouth was caught three years ago...barely missing the state record of 11 3/4 lb.

Both those records in my prediction will be broken or broken again from that same pit.

Wouldn't doubt the trout record either...the rainbows are getting up over 7 lb...and the browns a little bigger.

In this case...the introduction of trout was a perfect fit.

10. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Im with you on that one Charles!! They are hard enough to come by in the hotter months where Im at...so I'll take em! I need the bait:smile2:!

11. micus

micus New Member

State:
    Lake St. L
    Shucks, they can filet them and send them my way! I know lots of people who would take 'em.:smile2:

12. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    oh well:confused2:

13. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Japanese do not like to eat freshwater fish as much as saltwater fish. Why? Because sushi from freshwater fish have a better chance of gnarly parasites like tapeworms. Saltwater fish don't have parasites.

Tell Bush to send them some flatheads, that should take care of all those invasive bluegills and bass..

14. Dadoftwo

Dadoftwo New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    Not everything works as planned.

15. tigman

tigman New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    The perfect solution is for Japan to hire Good ole American fishermen and women (from the BOC) to catch all those Bluegills.:wink:

16. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    If they did return them I would expect them to be tainted.

17. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    i believe the talapia came from there also and we either eat themor use them for bait, so what's their problem????

18. Dean Shipwash

Dean Shipwash New Member

State:
    n.c Trinity
    WE sure dont have a problem with em around here. Flatheads eat them 4 a snack!!!:smile2:

19. Pirate Jerry

Pirate Jerry New Member

State:
    Yulee Florida
    Salt water fish DO have parasites, and lots of them. Catch a big black drum in the fall and take a look at the meat in the back half of that dude, Wormy as all get out. Won't hurt you but, yuck !!!! Lots of other briny ones have worms when the water heats up, so that ain't the reason they are eaten...

20. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Blacky,someone told you wrong.Eastern Pacific,East & western Atlantic,Gulf of Mexico,Mediterranean and South down past the Equator I caught salt water fish with worms in guts and flesh.Some were heavily infested while others had little or some none.

I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee