January Lake Wylie Catfishing Report

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by WylieCat, Jan 23, 2010.

1. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Lake Wylie fishermen saw a lot of change on the lake this month. Water temps plumented into 30's in the backs of many coves creating ice several hundred yards down the creeks. We had rain also, and this raised the lake, muddied the water, and cluttered the lake with debris.

All of this change made for a difficult month of fishing. December produced some big fish on the lake, but once the temps began to fall the transition to the winter bite quickly took place. Now it seems we need about a week to ten days of stable water levels and temps before a dependable bite happens.

Last weekend it was a great weekend on the lake. I caught 31 blues drifting, Billfish76 had similar numbers, Bowlerman landed some fish in 20's, and everyone was catching fish and having a great time in some moderate temperatures.

That all came to a sudden halt.

The rain overnight one day this week muddied most of the lake, raised the lake levels, and kept the lake water temps in the mid 40's. All of this put the "lockjaw" on fish this weekend. I managed one 30 pound fish today right after sunrise, but I only caught three more small fish the rest of the 8 hours I fished. I heard similar reports from Billfish76 and some other catfish anglers that were out. I stopped at the weigh in for a local bass tournament and the winning stringer of fish was only five pounds!!

I covered a LOT of water today fishing from 12 feet deep down to 42 feet. I went from below Buster Boyd Bridge all the way up to Belmont with no real pattern emerging. What was really odd was that the four fish I caught all came anchored, and none came drifting. On Lake Wylie you are usually guaranteed to catch fish drifting, but today was an oddity.

So, the best advice if you're picking a day to go fishing in this cold weather is to pick one after a week of stable temperatures and lake levels.

2. kennethu

kennethu New Member

State:
    sc
    Thanks for sharing, The same thing is happening at wateree except the water is way down there .

3. WilliP48

WilliP48 Member

State:
    SC
    Thanks for the report i was wondering if u think it is possible to catch any fish bank fishing right now. If so what should i be lookin for in a good spot.

4. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    "...think it is possible to catch any fish bank fishing right now..."

It's always possible, if you have casting access to deeper water structure.

Public access to bank fishing areas on Lake Wylie is limited. The few places that offer bank fishing are usually limited to shallow flats near the bank, and generally only provide good fishing at night.

My suggestion is to use the South Point Access area and walk north through the woods to the steeper banks where you can see the condo's. The main river channel is within casting distance from the bank there. While the area you are able to fish is liimited, you have access to everything from shallow water to deep river channel ledges.

The main thing with bank fishing is being patient and willing to spend many hours in one place waiting for fish to move through that area.

5. wylie catter

wylie catter Member

State:
    South Carolina