January Fishing!

Discussion in 'LOCAL PENNSYLVANIA TALK' started by Pennsylvaniacatchaser, Jan 12, 2008.

1. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    Who's out fishing in January? I went out and fished Glade Run Lake today. What a nice afternoon to be out. Temp was in the mid 40's, sun was shining and a lite breeze. I caught 2 Rainbow Trout and 2 Bluegills. It sure was nice to be out fishing. I'm attaching the only pic I took but its not very good.

Attached Files:

2. catchinghogs

catchinghogs Well-Known Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    I have been getting out on the creek near my house and catching a good amount of trout. Was going to try to hit the river but it came up this weekend.

3. RebelMan

RebelMan Guest

hey guys. I got out ice fishing 3 times so far this year. i've been on ice thats been 3 inches and with spots with only a inch.:crazy:but i've caught a bunch of pickerel and bass so far on large shiners with a swedish pimple on a tip up(with steel leader of course). but now I have to wait again for the ice to come back and then ill be at it again. fish til march/april and i'll be fishing for cats again:cool2:.

4. jigerjim

jigerjim Member

State:
    North East Pa.
    I wish we had some open water right now, The ice is too thin to walk on and there's very little open water.
    i'm in sore need of some bait to fish for Cat's. I'm guessing the snow that's comeing to nite will screw up the ice fishin for the next few week's.

5. dirt138

dirt138 New Member

State:
    Springdale, Pennsylvania
    I have been fishing up at deer lakes almost every week. I have been doing okay with the trout. Saw a few gill today and caught 2 trout. I sure am getting tired of messing around with trout though. If I could just get the river to go down a little more I could hit up my winter hole for some cats.

6. jigerjim

jigerjim Member

State:
    North East Pa.
    Rodger I dont know what your part of the river look's like, but when the river is up I find it to be at it's best. If you can find any small eddy you should find Cat's. :wink: It dont have to be big eather, just a few hundered square feet will do,

7. jigerjim

jigerjim Member

State:
    North East Pa.
    Man be carefull out there, 3" is pushin it a little to much for me. My fat a$$ need's at least 4+" Earler in the year I was out about 6 time's, the ice was about 5 to 6" then now it's down to about 2 1/2" if that.I'm hopeing by this week end it will be OK

8. dirt138

dirt138 New Member

State:
    Springdale, Pennsylvania
    Hey Jim I have always liked the high water myself. I just can't get to my cold water spot when the river is up. It's prolly only up about a foot but that is enough to cover the pathway. I could fish other parts of the river but I love my hot water output.

9. stumpjumper

stumpjumper New Member

State:
    Dallas, GA
    Scott, thanks for sharing the report. Glad you are getting out there.

10. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    Glad to hear ya got some fishing in Scott. All of are smaller lakes are frozen, still waiting for lake George to freeze so i can do some serious hard water fishing. Lake George is 35 miles long and is over 200 ft. deep in some spots and usually doesn't freeze over till late Jan.

11. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Been hitting the ocean and bring home some meat for the freezer.

12. Shizzam

Shizzam New Member

State:
    Lancaster,Pa.
    Same here. I have also been hiting Brunners.

13. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    Things are starting to ice over finally! :big_smile: I was watching the 7 day forecast and it is going to be cold! :crazy: I think I will start preparing my ice fishing gear! :cool2: We may be on the hard water here soon! :wink:

14. dookiechrist

dookiechrist New Member

State:
    utah
    celebrate brother !!!!!!!!! i'm goin tomorrow...what will you be going for? ever ice a cat? i haven't but will soon i hope. good times...good luck..and may the fish gods smile upon you..:0a18:

15. crazyjet1

crazyjet1 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Ill be out there fishing the mighty ohio river along with a couple of my crazy ass buddys in this cold weather. It will be alright thoe last time it was raining and about 38 degrees so it wasnt the best. Didnt catch a single fish but nobody else on the river really caught anything either a couple little channels. Im going out next weekend to try and catch me a monster hope to see somebody on the river.

16. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    I have caught a few Cats through the ice. In fact I caught a 28" Channel Cat a few years back that was my PB for a number of years. I've posted the pic before but here it is again ! :big_smile:

Attached Files:

17. jigerjim

jigerjim Member

State:
    North East Pa.
    Two year's a go I got a 25" Channal on a jiggin Rapla, it was suspended 5' down in 12' of water. This year I've gotten 3 large bullhead's already, they were also suspended about 5'. Who said cat's were bottom dweller's:confused2: If all go's well I'll be back on top tomorrow.:big_smile:

18. SanteeCooperKat

SanteeCooperKat New Member

State:
    PA/SC
    Eh, I wonder if any Susquehanna Channels would bite anything this time of year at Brunner Island. Certainly, it's doubtful :/ . I only hear of smallmouth being nabbed at warmwarter discharges this time of year.

19. HoggyO

HoggyO New Member

State:
    PA
    I think I'm heading out Saturday to do some Ice Fish, My Buddy says he has a great spot:eek:oooh: We'll see! I'll keep everyone at the BOC posted on the outcome.

~Hog

20. catfish chaser

catfish chaser New Member

State:
    miamisburg, oh
    I've been fishing the ohio river by the dams and catching a nice number of smaller walleyes but not to many over 15" inches. Caught a couple stripers this month too.