Jan 27th going fishing

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by jason berry, Jan 27, 2008.

1. jason berry

jason berry New Member

State:
    Evansville
    I havent ever catfished in the winter and we have had some really cold weather here the past week. My cousin and I are going to try our luck today its going to get to about 54 degrees today. Much warmer than it has been. I have to guess that the water temp is about 37 degrees. Were going to go fish the Ohio River with some skipjack. Ill post later to tell you how we did hopefully with some pics.

2. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    were are you putting in? i am heading out now to launch at angelmounds... will be in a 17ft blue ans white bayliner say hey if you see me...

3. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Good luck on your trip:big_smile:.

4. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    jason did you do any good? i found a couple holes with fish stacked in them but i couldnt get a bite... how about you?

5. labdog9099

labdog9099 New Member

State:
    texas
    watch out for the ice bergs

6. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    no ice.... water was 39degrees and slow current....

7. Shreveport Mike

Shreveport Mike New Member

State:
    louisiana
    I love to fish in the winter for blues. I don't catch as many, but the ones I do catch are a lot bigger. Good luck.

8. jason berry

jason berry New Member

State:
    Evansville
    I put in at dogtown there was a lot of barge traffic where my hole is at I got some bites pretty steady but was using to big of a hook for them I think next time Im going out with some smaller hooks and going to drop down my bait size. I didnt catch anything but I only went out for a couple hours maybe Ill have better luck next time that water temp was cold at 36 degrees.

9. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    how big of bait were you using? at least you were getting some bites!! thats more than some of us have been getting...

10. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Keep at it man, I have caught more fish this winter on the Ohio than I did last spring and summer combined. you keep at it and you will land some quality fish I guarantee it!:wink:

11. blacksheep

blacksheep New Member

State:
    NC
    Fishing in winter can lead to big fish. The big ones seem to bit all year...