James River

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by DH84, Jul 14, 2008.

1. DH84

DH84 New Member

State:
    Eastern NC
    How close to the bay in the james river can you get before the salt water starts pushing the cats back up river?

I may be moving up to the elizabeth city area and wanted to know about how far up river i had to go before i could get into some good cats

2. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    It seems most fish from the mouth of the Chickhominy River and upstream from there on the James., (and up in the Chick). I fish further upstream but am determined to learn new water this winter so I will be down that way.

3. critter68

critter68 New Member

State:
    Alexandria, Virginia
    It depends if you are looking for giant cats or eaters. You can catch plenty of eaters as far down as Jamestown.

4. DH84

DH84 New Member

State:
    Eastern NC
    Im looking for the big boys, but dont worry i CPR everything.

Is there a ramp anywhere in the claremont area?

5. smitty1963

smitty1963 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I can vouch for that as I catch plenty of eaters on the colonial parkway not far from the old Jamestown settlement:wink:

6. smitty1963

smitty1963 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Hey Rob I hear you can catch some nice cats on the York river just below West Point also. Going to try there next weekend will let everyone know how it goes.

7. mbandjb

mbandjb New Member

State:
    Central Va
    Hey Rob,
    There is a ramp at the rt 5 bridge on the Chick river.Its at the camp ground.
    mikeb

8. DH84

DH84 New Member

State:
    Eastern NC
    Thanks, yea thats the area i was looking at, is there anything on the south side of the river there?

9. shaddaddi

shaddaddi New Member

State:
    smith mountain lake,VA
    I put in at Claremont a few years back. Smack in the middle of a campground and shallow, but I was trying to float a 24' cuddy cabin.:roll_eyes: