James River

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by Ed1, Jul 5, 2007.

1. Ed1

Ed1 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Hows the fishing in the James? A friend and I are planning a trip ther in a couple of weeks. I think he said we would be launching at dutch gap or dutch somthing anyhow.

2. Rickjr

Rickjr New Member

State:
    VA
    Fish still kinda slow..A few citations being caught ...but most are 10 to 15 lbs. that i have seen...Dutch gap is a good area to start...I'm guessing another week it should be back to the bite...

3. kayakgeek

kayakgeek New Member

State:
    Fredericksburg, VA
    RichJR,
    Is the bite off from the natural weather changes? I understand that the bite in the summer is mostly at night. Is that when the citations are being caught? I have only fished the Dutch Gap area in the winter from my kayak. I have dicided that it is way to much water to cover in my yak. Fun, but a lot more paddling then fishing.

4. Rickjr

Rickjr New Member

State:
    VA
    Just coming out of the Spawn..or maybe I'm slow.....There was an 89lb blue caught last week:big_smile:

5. Ed1

Ed1 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Thanks rick I was thinking of taking a few doay off work and trying to fishi it toward the end of the month

6. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    Rick, what parts of the river do you normally fish?

Last couple trips I've been launching from Dutch Gap and heading downriver between the 295 bridge and Presquille on the channel drops. Using a castnet to get bait in Deep Bottom loop. Haven't been having much luck though. I want to start fishing downriver around Hopewell, but don't know any spots yet.

7. Rickjr

Rickjr New Member

State:
    VA
    Same here with the bait...I go around Deep bottom landing and I always carry nightcrawlers just in case the throw net don't produce big enough baitfish...I like to fish jones cut and I have caught some hawgs right across from Osbourne landing.Hopefuly I will get to fish a few tournaments out there around hopewell and have been scouting some places downriver....I will get a few maps made and send you a few hotspots......Maybe we will get together and go try a few spots:006:

8. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    Sounds good, thanks Rick. I'm gonna try to head to the river this weekend, but not sure yet because of the tournament that's going on Sat night. If I do, I'm gonna make it a point to fish down around BH Harrison and beyond. Good luck out there! Just give me a holler any time you want to fish, I'm game.

9. mbandjb

mbandjb New Member

State:
    Central Va
    Hey Rickjr and Jpritch,
    Send me a PM about the spots down river from Jordan Point...

Maybe we can trade some spots..

mb

10. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    always wanted to fish on the james river maybe someday!