James River

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by Bluecathunter, Dec 2, 2005.

1. Bluecathunter

Bluecathunter New Member

State:
    Midlothian, Virginia
    For those of you who fish the lower James wanted to see what part of the river has been more productive for the big blues. I tend to like from Hopewell down to flowerdew but some of you may have better luck on other stretches. Lets hear it, whats your favorite sections on the river and what time of year?

2. tank3544

tank3544 New Member

State:
    Fredericksburg, VA
    good topic!

personally during the winter i like the section from the deep water terminal to flowerdew :D
    during the summer i like the section between the arms of my recliner :D

i'll get into this later when i have a little more time

3. Malligood24

Malligood24 New Member

State:
    Richmond, Va
    I havent been fishing the james long enough to know which is best. I've read all the guides reports on fishing around Dutch Gap year round as well as the Deep Bottom and Turkey Island areas. Im sure Tank will have the most to offer on this subject...My buddy (known on this site as "Maximus") and I are going out tomorrow morning at 6AM to fish the areas between the 295 bridge on down to Turkey Island. We will let you know tomorrow evening how we did...Hopefully we will catch more than just frostbite! :p

4. Bluecathunter

Bluecathunter New Member

State:
    Midlothian, Virginia
    Ill be out in the morning also in a 18ft roughneck jon, putting in at deep bottom. Ill be running my gill net if ya need some bait.

5. Malligood24

Malligood24 New Member

State:
    Richmond, Va
    We might just take you up on that. We are putting in at Osborne Landing i think..It's closer to home for us... but maybe we will see you out there. We were going to try to catch some shad somewhere back towards the rear of the powerplant...We've never tried to catch live bait yet on the James River so i doubt we will be very successful on our first try, but if we dont have any luck back there and you have extra, then we certainly might take you up on that offer. Will you be fishing around the Deep Bottom area or are you going farther down river? I think we are going to start right at the 295 bridge at first... We are in a white and green Lowe bass boat.... We'll be the two young guys dressed up like eskimos :D

6. Malligood24

Malligood24 New Member

State:
    Richmond, Va
    by the way, if you dont mind me asking, what do you do when you "run your gill net"? how much different is that than a regular casting net? i've seen people reference the gill nets but not actually seen one or how it works....

7. Bluecathunter

Bluecathunter New Member

State:
    Midlothian, Virginia
    Its 50ft long net that has a float rope on top and a weighted rope on bottom. When you stretch it out the shad run into it just far enough to get stuck and can not get out. It only takes about ten minutes and you have enough shad. If you are going around toward the barge pitts you can get bait on the flat on the left past the entrance of the pitts or go into the pitts and get them in the opening. If you havent been in there before be carefull its tricky. Try that flat first there should be plenty of shad in 5-10ft of water.

I had a change of plans last minute and now will be hunting in the morning but will be going sunday instead. Good Luck to you guys, please post and let us know how ya do.

PS- since you are getting bait around by the pitts try fishing the sunken barge in the middle before the entrance to the pitts, some good cats been taken off there this time of year. ;)

8. Malligood24

Malligood24 New Member

State:
    Richmond, Va
    Where can you buy those gill nets? You said they are 50 foot long...how wide are they or how deep do they hang? what is a good price to pay for one? so many questions but i really appreciate all your help and guidence.. I'll definitely let ya'll know how we did tomorrow night... have a great time hunting!

9. tank3544

tank3544 New Member

State:
    Fredericksburg, VA
    hey willis let me know you do you ok? give me a heads up before my 3 day stint on the river :D

ok here's the deal .. summertime don't ask me .. i hate summertime catfishing .. its completely hit or miss and is NOTHING like the amazing wintertime bite .. therefore all i say here is for wintertime fishing only

i really wasn't lying when i said deep water terminal to flowerdew .. really richmond on down is great .. i'll narrow it down a bit

richmond to osbourne - you won't catch alot of giants up here .. you'll catch your share of 20 and 30 pound fish with an occasional 40 or even 50 .. outgoing tide is the only productive time .. if you catch one fish you'll probably catch a half dozen or more .. if you don't catch any after a few hours you aren't going to catch any .. so fishing up here is rather easy .. no bites, move on .. average fish per trip up here .. if they're biting 3 .. if not zero

osbourne to deep bottom cut through - the famed and HIGHLY OVERRATED dutch gap area .. you've all read the times dispatch reports of fish caught here .. you want a tip to help your catfishing? don't read the reports .. the guides don't want you fishing where they are catching fish .. comprende? this section has been known to produce some large fish .. however this section is more hit or miss than any other spot on the river .. more times than not you're going to leave here empty handed .. why? EVERYBODY and their brother fishes here .. fishing pressure = less fish .. average fish for trip here - 1 .. if they're biting here you'll probably catch 3 or 4 .. if not you're gonna know it .. the first time you pull your anchor with no bites move on .. there is no waiting out the fish here .. the most finicky fish in the river and with good reason

deep bottom cut through to jordan point - this section is turning into dutch gap junior .. heavier fishing pressure is leading to less fish .. this section you're likely to tie into a bigger fish since it has much deeper water and wrecks and the bridge .. if the fish are biting you're likely to land a half dozen in a real big hurry since the holes are so much bigger .. even if the bite is off you're likely to catch one or 2 .. average fish here 3 .. this is probably the only place in the whole river where you can continually MOVE AROUND if you aren't getting bites and catch a fish .. if you fish the same 1/2 mile of river all day when you aren't getting bites here that's how its gonna stay .. however like i started off this section is getting highly pressured and i'm fishing here less and less .. if i see ANYONE at all fishing in this section i usually move on .. most people that fish here know what they're doing and will effectively cover all decent holes and structure leaving the active fish caught and the rest skittish

jordan point to the chick - big water with big fish .. your best shot at a trophy .. also your best shot at getting skunked .. this section is as hit or miss as dutch gap if not worse .. not many people venture down to this big water so there's much less pressure .. but since there's so much water the fish are harder to find .. average fish per trip here is ZERO .. i say that because 1 out of every 5 trips i catch something .. the rest are a pure waste of gas .. if you don't know the river i'd stay away from here until you're with someone that does .. you'll spend alot of wasted time with all that water to cover fishing where they ain't and never will be

all in all you can really catch fish anywhere when they're biting .. when they're not you're likely to get skunked pretty well anywhere on the river .. i NEVER EVER EVER fish only one of these sections of river at a time .. i'll start in one section and end in another .. normally i cover at least 3 of the sections i described .. if they aren't biting in one they may be in another .. really the sections don't matter as much as patterning them and reproducing that pattern .. when that happens you'll have a great day .. pattern the fish and no matter what section you're in you'll likely catch a dozen with 4 or more citations

a little tidbit to add .. i've been noticing a trend .. a guy catches a big fish .. pulls anchor a half hour later and moves .. someone watching decides hey they caught one there so can i! *buzzer* WRONG! .. they moved for a reason .. not only that but they probably caught the only ACTIVE fish in that hole .. unless you're talking about the larger holes in the section way downriver its simply a wasted anchor drop .. if anything check out their spot to see how deep they were fishing and what kind of structure .. then go find something similiar .. it may be the pattern of the day