James River

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by pitbull, Feb 5, 2007.

1. pitbull

pitbull New Member

State:
    maryland
    I am from MD, never fished James before heard alot about it. Where is best area to fish and put boat in. Any help is good help. THANKS EVERYONE FOR YOUR HELP.

2. F150Catfish

F150Catfish New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    mostly I fishing on upper james river, but theres population for blue catfish in low james river. I heard fishermen caught alot blue catfish by near Hopewell but I am planning to go out boat on low james this summer.

3. shaddaddi

shaddaddi New Member

State:
    smith mountain lake,VA
    The lower James is where the big blue cats are at. Dutch Gap,Deep Bottom,Osbourne Landing,Hopewell public ramp, and Jordan Point Marina ramps will put you close to the action. Use giant peices of shad( I use at the very least 3" squares, preferably 5") fished close to channel structure(wrecks, dropoffs, creek mouths,subchannel split offs,BENDS). Lots of lead-8oz. minimum-the tide rolls through there!

4. dwordenfish

dwordenfish New Member

State:
    massachusetts
    shaddaddi

What is a subchannel splitoff? Where is an example of one on the James?
    The rest I know has worked for me.
    thanks,
    dave

5. pitbull

pitbull New Member

State:
    maryland
    IS it hard to catch shad in lower James river?????

6. WHEELMOBILE07

WHEELMOBILE07 New Member

State:
    Martinsville, Virginia
    Id just do a search on the forums for "James River", you should find all you need to know there.

Wheelmobile07

7. shaddaddi

shaddaddi New Member

State:
    smith mountain lake,VA
    What is a subchannel splitoff? Where is an example of one on the James?
    The rest I know has worked for me.
    thanks,
    dave

"subchannel" as in side or secondary channel. Right below the "islands" below Jordan Point a side channel empties back into the main channel. On down farther JUST past the powerlines, the main chan. goes around on the left and a subchan. starts very close to the right hand bank/point and empties back into the main chan. at a sharp bend with a ninety some feet deep hole.(Flowerdew Hundred it's called) Also anywhere upriver where the old river"horseshoe bends" meets the man-made "cut-offs" are decent channel structures. I personally love bends below Jordan.

As far as shad goes it is silly with them. However in the coldest months, you HAVE TO find the holes they are gathered in. I.e.: Behind Henricus park at Dutch gap(can get shallow FAST), the GIANT coal fired powerplant at dutch gap has a warm water discharge, in the horseshoe bends, barge pits, and always WAY UP in the creeks(that will cost you a net but guarantee bait)
    Alot of fellas use gill nets down there which makes it easy, but I still love my castnet.

8. jimmyk

jimmyk New Member

State:
    virginia
    I would put in at Osbourne Landing and fish from there to the 895 bridge.Go up river for starters or you can go down river and fish the deep bottom horseshoe. Use your depth finder and look for deep holes and structure. Hope this helps.

9. dwordenfish

dwordenfish New Member

State:
    massachusetts
    Sean,
    thanks for the advice! It's way helpful. I'll be down for a week on the 16th, with castnets in hand. I looked at the map and was wondering about those side channels. I'll try them out. We didn't catch many big ones the last time we were down, but have done a lot of work to get more prepared. Good luck in the coming season. Hope you get that 100 pounder out there.
    dave