James river

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by CATFISHKKO, Sep 29, 2009.

1. CATFISHKKO

CATFISHKKO New Member

State:
    Chesterfield, VA
    Went out on the james sunday night to unwind fishing after a long miserable cold weekend at bodatious mudbog, and to try out the gill net we had just got in. Set the net twice and had 6 hickory, set up in 10-20ft on the incoming caught a 22lbr and a 15lbr had one break under the boat but in all a decent calm night to unwind and the gill net was amazing.

Went out last night again right after the storm hit round 9pm, to sets of the net and we had 5 or 6 cutters, and a huge 35+ inch spotted gar! Set up in the same area diff hole as the night before and set up on a couple in the teens and one 20lbr, fished a lil while found some areas that worked and some that didnt still lookin for the big boys!!

Oh and we caught a few gizzard shad in the net but weve never fished them are they any better/worse than hickorys??

Heres the 22lbr and the spotted gar

Attached Files:

2. Steve Knox

Steve Knox Active Member

State:
    Richmond, Virginia
    Gizzard shad make great cut bait.

3. Bomberman

Bomberman New Member

State:
    Spring Run, PA
    Thanks for the report. I thought the Hickory Shad were long gone...are you sure they weren't Gizzards?

4. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Thanks for the report. Welcome aboard to the BOC.

5. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    That's what I was thinking. Got any pics?

Congrats on the fish and thanks for the report!

6. CATFISHKKO

CATFISHKKO New Member

State:
    Chesterfield, VA
    thinks for yall sayin that i looked them up and im mistaken i thought they were hickory but they're gizzard shad, we caught what i thought looked like mullet in the net and my buddy said they were gizzard shad i just took his word haha i never expected mullet in the river

7. bluecat69

bluecat69 New Member

State:
    Tupelo, MS
    Catfishkko
    That gill net is alot better than the cast net isn't it? Make sure you set your timer when you set it out :wink:.
    I have caught some skipjack herring in the net a few times this year so that could have been what you caught in the net (but I have caught mullet in it also).
    You fishing that tournament on Saturday? Kenny and myself will be there. Registration starts at 4pm and blast off is at 6pm. Weigh in is at 8am. Location is Hopewell Marina.
    I still haven't downloaded those pics but will do soon.
    See ya on the water.