James River ,,,,,Way the heck to the east

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by Paraguayguy, Nov 26, 2009.

1. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Fished the Hampton Roads Bridge Tunnel last night. What a hoot. My 4th trip this fall and the best. My VA Wildlife Calendar had a big old excellent fish symbol on it for yesterday and man they were on the money. I arrived at 5:00 PM to a nice outgoing tide and caught a Striper on my first cast. From then it was on. I swear sometimes I would go 20 -30 casts catching a striper on every cast before not catching one. I always heard about 100 fish evenings there and last night was it.

Last night Chartruese, jigs with a white rubber trailer was the ticket. I tried different things including top water but all they wanted was the yellow. I even stopped at green top for 4 eels that I had swimming around looking for a whopper but no love there.

No giants,,all schoolies at the bridge but hellafun on light tackle. All the fish were from 18 - 26 inches. I kept two for the grill on Friday.

Our catfish boats are perfect for that spot,,,just need to check the forcast. Last night it was like a lake. I launched from Willoughby Spit. First exit heading east on I 64 after you come out of the Bridge Tunnel. Take the exit , turn right at the bottom of the ramp, go 1/10 mile or so and super nice free public ramp is on the right. Fish the lightline under the bridge you just drove across. Fishing is less than 1/2 mile from the ramp. So easy a "Caveman can do it".

2. keepitsimple

keepitsimple New Member

State:
    virginia
    There's nothing like getting into a school of stripers, fast and furious casting and fighting. I know you had a blast.

3. Bomberman

Bomberman New Member

State:
    Spring Run, PA
    WTG...that had to be a blast. It's days like that that keep us coming back. Congrats on "gettin it done!" :big_smile:

4. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    Kenneth, you're a fishing machine! Jack of all trades! Sounds like you had a blast out there.

5. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Turn left at the bottom of the Willoughby Spit exit. I said right in an earlier post but it is Leftttttttttt. Turn left. Sorry about that guys.:embarassed:

Last edited: Nov 26, 2009
  6. katman#1

katman#1 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    thats cool so easy a caveman can do it we must still have alot of cave men lol

7. Fokromix

Fokromix New Member

State:
    VA
    Thanks for the info Kenneth. Never fished there but certainly get the itch when I drive over. Growing up I remember my dad explaining "this piece of land was formed then the great storm of blah blah blah" as we drove over. I think we also were asked to spit out the window. You know... back when kids looked out the window and did fun stuff on trips in a car like punching each other. Of course I tell that story now when I am driving. I'll add... you can catch stripers right there....and maybe we'll skip the spitting in case you are down there slaying them. Keep up the good fishing and posts.