James River trip

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by critter68, Aug 27, 2006.

1. critter68

critter68 New Member

State:
    Alexandria, Virginia
    Postponed a 1 day trip to TN river to fish the James for 2 days. 8/25 we started around 7:30 at Dutch Gap. Water was 97 degrees but we caught a few big shad on the eastern flat at the entrance to the power plant. We hooked onto a big fish within 10 minutes of putting lines out, got him up to the net before he broke off. At least 40 or better. Stayed for about 10 minutes more then moved to Deep Bottom loop. Shad EVERYWHERE. Even had them jump into the boat! Caught a 25.9 on the channel edge, but that was it. Not too bad but very slow night. Started a little earlier 8/26. Caught 2 dozen 6 inch shad in one throw around Deep bottom loop then went hunting. Fished all new stuff. Those little shad just don't work as well as the big ones unless they are alive. Caught a few eaters but put them back then caught a 15 later on a wing dam that I didn't know existed. I'll be back to that spot again later when the water is going the other way! Next week I'll be fishing the Pamunkey and then going to fish for flatties on the James.

2. rebcatman

rebcatman New Member

State:
    Manassas, Virginia
    Thanks for the report. Not a bad trip at all. Were you fishing both the channel and the flats?

3. bigcatJoe

bigcatJoe New Member

State:
    indiana
    Sounds like you guy's are doing good.

4. critter68

critter68 New Member

State:
    Alexandria, Virginia
    The big fish was right on the edge of the main channel where a flat ends at the point of a wall in about 30 feet. 26 was on channel edge around Deep bottom loop. Nothing around but flat and channel. 15 was also on flats although there was a good flow and a wing dam. Fish was on up flow side.

5. rebcatman

rebcatman New Member

State:
    Manassas, Virginia
    Thanks. That seems to be the way to go on the James, position yourself to be able to fish both the channel and the flat at the same time.

6. critter68

critter68 New Member

State:
    Alexandria, Virginia
    It actually seems to be the way to go on other rivers as well. I do very well on the Pamunkey fishing the down stream side of inside corners right on the current break where there is a flat on the back side. Apparently the water slows down on the backside of the turn where the water starts to go back into the flat from deep water. The big cats just wait on the flats to snag anything that gets washed out of the hole.

7. rebcatman

rebcatman New Member

State:
    Manassas, Virginia
    I have to buy a boat one of these days.... While I do pretty well fishing from shore, having a boat on many of these rivers is needed I believe to really do well and to be able to cover much more of the water.

8. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

Name:
    Unspecified
    This is great information, Jacob. Welcome to the BOC!

9. WHEELMOBILE07

WHEELMOBILE07 New Member

State:
    Martinsville, Virginia
    rebcat, i would tend to agree with that a boat makes getting to the great holes so much easier.

Wheelmobile07

10. rebcatman

rebcatman New Member

State:
    Manassas, Virginia
    Oh ya. Plus it cuts down on the time it takes to move from place to another.