James River Trip March 3-5

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by blackwaterkatz, Feb 13, 2006.

1. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Tank3544, Gottafish, or anyone else available:

Patmansc and I are planning to come up first weekend in March, Jim may also be able to go. We don't have all the details set just yet, but we will probably stay near hopewell and fish from near there. Any help to locate fresh bait and directions to the nearest "X's" on the water will be appreciated by these carolina boys.;)
    We are planning for arrival at hopewell sometime on friday, March 3rd around noon or early afternoon, and depart for home sometime on the 5th. If something (like a snowstorm) prevents us from making the trip, we will try again March 10-12.
    We are bringing lots of anticipation and film with us. We hope to leave the fish there for another day, but take a boatload of good memories home with us.
    Thanks in advance, guys....

2. gottafish

gottafish New Member

State:
    Chesapeake, VA
    Tommy, I just sent you a PM. Something I did not add, is that it's probably a good idea to consider an alternate ramp if it's particularly windy. Hopewell is not as bad as Jordan Point is, but it's still relatively unprotected.

Osbourne Landing or Deep Bottom is a good alternate. Actually, bait is a "little" easier to come by out of those ramps due to their proximity to the barge pits. Bait can be had out of Hopewell, it's just a slightly longer boat ride and a bait availability is a little more sporadic. Sometimes it just takes a little longer to find the shad.

/Scott

3. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Thanks, Scott. I got the pm. I'll respond a little later today or early evening, probably. As far as ramps, I'm not sure where Osbourne and Deep Bottom are, I'll have to mark them on the map. I think I know where the other two are. I am going to the VDIFG site later and see if they have more info. We picked hopewell because of it's location and lodging availablility. But those landings you mentioned should all be within reasonable driving distance, right?

4. gottafish

gottafish New Member

State:
    Chesapeake, VA
    They're not too far at all. If you're staying in the Hopewell area, you'd just cross the river at Jordan Point (Benjamin Harrison Bridge) which is just below Hopewell and then head upriver on rte. 5. They're maybe 30 minutes from Hopewell give or take. Osbourne and Deep Bottom are actually just a few minutes driving time apart. Hopewell is a good central location.

If Jim makes it with you, I think he is pretty familiar with the river as well.

/Scott

5. kayakgeek

kayakgeek New Member

State:
    Fredericksburg, VA
    Tommy,
    The GPS coordinates for those ramps are as follows:
    Deep Bottom N 37* 24.392' W 077* 17.697'
    Osborne N 37* 23.946' W 077* 22.914'
    Dutch Gap N 37* 22.903' W 077* 22.600'

Good luck

Geek

6. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    thanks, Jay. I'll mark those on my chart. What is the river like at those upper landings. I plan on using my 17' center console, so I don't want to venture into any areas that are too hazardous or shallow.

7. Catmandu

Catmandu New Member

State:
    Virginia
    hey tommy iv'e been watching the talk about your trip on the posts . if yall need a little help on the chickahominy i would be glad to be of assistance i'll probably be back from surgery and fishin by then just leave me aweek to get it together the chick is much smaller than the james and its just as good for large cats "TIGHT LINES" steve

8. gottafish

gottafish New Member

State:
    Chesapeake, VA
    Tommy, there are no issues with the upper part of the river. You can fish all the way to Richmond without concern (within reason) My best fish to date, 62 lbs, has come from "up there" in a little "honey hole" that I particularly like, that has produced several from 40 pounds and up for me.

As Catmandu says, the Chick is also really good. My last few trips have been there. It's further down river and is probably 45 minutes from Hopewell, give or take.

/Scott

9. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Thanks to both of you, Steve and Scott. I've seen some of the posts about fishing on the chick, and I wouldn't have a problem fishing there, especially if it is too windy to get out on the James. If we did, I suspect it would probably be easier to trailer that distance.
    Scott, I tried that link for the nav charts, but my old computer still has windows 98, and the software on that site requires win 2000 or xp, but I think I found something that may be of some help.
    We should have everything finalized by later in this week, I hope, as far as time of arrival and lodging.

10. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Gottafish:
    OK, patmansc and I have made reservations at the Quality Inn, Hopewell. Arrival on Mar. 3rd and depart on the 5th. Checkin isn't until 3 pm and we haven't set a definite time to arrive, kinda waiting to see if Jim can make it or not. It would be great if we could get up there early enough to get in a little fishing prior to check-in, and get up with you. Since you plan to take off that day anyway, maybe we can leave early enough to get up there at least late morning or noon. It's about a 6 hour drive for me if I go up I-95, if I go by Jim's place, it would be more like 8 hours drive time. We'll be working on a firmer schedule and a list of things to bring. I'll keep you updated.
    BTW, I touched base with Tank, but I think they have an out of towner planned that weekend.

11. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Tommy go direct to save you time.You can come up and visit the next James River trip and if you have good luck this time I'm sure there will be another trip.You will need a good long anchor rope as some of the holes can be 80-90 ft.Hope to make it won't know for a bit.:)

12. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Jim, do you know yet if you'll be able to make the trip? I'm hoping you can, but I understand how things go some times.

13. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Jim, disregard the earlier post. I didn't read through, got sidetracked by the anchor rope deal.
    I think I will go direct this time, in order to get there early in the day and hook up with Gottafish, who is going to try for the day off in order to help us get some bait, and hopefully get in some fishing that day. If we do well, I may try to return a week or two later with Doug. Sure hope to see you up there on this trip, if you can make it.

14. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Greer, SC
    Name:
    Pat Chaney
    I'm pretty excited about this trip and the possibilities of tying into a lunker or two. What kinds of tackle set-ups do you recommend - I think I'm probably gonna need to order some stuff before we go.

15. gottafish

gottafish New Member

State:
    Chesapeake, VA
    Rods in a line class of 25lb up to 50lb. 7 or 8 ft works well. I use 65 pound Power Pro but some have success using heavier mono in the 30 pound range.

LARGE Circle Hooks, J Hooks or Kahles. I use Owner SSW 10/0 and have been experimenting with the Daiichi Chunk Lite Circles in 7/0. They're both great hooks. Pyramid sinkers in the 6 to 10 ounce range are all that you really "need" Some guys like to use no roll sinkers of one type or another.

You can either use a fishfinder/carolina style with a leader in the 10 - 14 inch range. Maybe a little shorter in the ripping current if you end up fishing down below Jordan Point at all. You can also set up with the more traditional bottom rig with the sinker on bottom if you want. Both work well.

We'll see you guys in a couple of weeks!

/Scott

16. Patmansc

State:
    Greer, SC
    Name:
    Pat Chaney
    Scott, thanks for the tips. I've gotta a couple of MH rods with 30# Ironsilk, thinking about getting 1 more with 40# -50# braid. I definitely need to get the larger hooks & sinkers, and will try both pyramid & no-roll.

17. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    hope you carolina guys have a blast up there.

18. Patmansc

State:
    Greer, SC
    Name:
    Pat Chaney
    Thanks, FHX! Dunno where you live, but maybe you could join this road trip?

19. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    patman i am in greenville. thx for the offer would love to go with yall but that is a long way to haul a pontoon, also i hope to be trying to find some cats on hartwell for the cabellas tourny around that time. if i hadnt already sent my money in i would try to go with yall i have heard alot about that river hear the fishing is great.

20. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Patmansc, are you packed yet? ;) I'm about ready to leave now!