James River Trip - 42lb, 32lb, Blue catfish, and stringer of Stripers.

Discussion in 'MEMBER FISHING REPORTS (BECOME A FISHING LEGEND)' started by Katmaster Jr., Dec 29, 2006.

1. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    What started as a slow day on the James River ended up being a pretty good one! Here's the report;

We were fishing with a guide again named Kevin Salmon, our last trip out with him we barely caught anything and he offered us a discount this time, so we took him up on his offer. Launched from Jordan Point at 7:30am, went straight out from the boat ramp and he put the gill net out on a flat. Left it in for about 10 minutes, he didn't get but a couple shad, but dang if he didn't get about a 25lb Blue in the net! I took a picture with it just for the heck of it anyway.

Since he didn't get much bait the in the first spot, he moved to another one near by and only got like one more shad. Then he said, we could definitely catch bait upriver, and do some fishing up there also. So we went maybe a mile or two up river into some very shallow water and he put the net out again, now he started to get them, after leaving the net out about 10 minutes again, he got around 4 or 5 shad, moved over and did it again in just a slightly different spot and this time he got 6 or 7 more shad.

Now we were ready to start fishing! Anchored over near some timber, not far away from the bank. He cast out 8 rods, in a "Fan" style meaning very spread out. Instantly started getting a lot of smaller bites, but none were loading the rods. After 15-20 minutes of the little bites mine on the end closest to the timber doubled over, he was tightlining with circle hooks by the way, I did just what I was suppose to and didn't get the fish. Then he wanted to go ahead and move to another spot.

We moved to another spot in the same general area, and once again, cast 8 rods out as normal. A lot of the small pesky bites again, and after waiting 20 minutes, and no big fish, he was ready to move again. That's how he did, if a spot wasn't producing bigger bites, he got out of there after a certain period of time.

Now, he decided to go ahead back down river below the boat ramp. When we got down there, he fished near an island, very shallow water. Took a couple minutes, and then all of the sudden all of the rods started going nuts, very fast and vicious bites. I caught 2 Stripers, and my dad caught one there, they are in season too! All were big enough to keep and went in the cooler. The action died down, and yes, it was time to move once again!

He didn't move very far though, just straight out from the island to the Channel. Very fast bites out there, but none appeared to be big, and we ended up catching 2 Blue cats around 8lbs right before leaving the spot.

This time, he made another big move, he went a couple miles or so downstream, and we fished directly around huge pilands from a power line over to the side of the channel. Man, this was by far the best fishing I have done in a long time! Started out, I caught 2 more Stripers. Then between my dad and I, we must have caught at least 20 Blue Cats from 5-10 pounds! It was fun, but we wanted the Trophies of course, in the middle of all the smaller Blue's, one of my rods bent way over. It was very obvious that this was a big fish, I got the pole out of the rod holder, and the fight was on! At first, the fish was staying straight out from me rolling around and pulling a little drag, and then it ran very fast towards the boat. I had trouble keeping up with it, but somehow managed to keep the slack out, and then he kept running upstream for a minute making my line go under the boat. Finally I stopped him, and now it was just a straight up down, Man Vs. Beast fight. He came up a few times before we could net him, after about 5 minutes though I finally held him at the top long enough for Kevin to net it. I was very excited of course knowing this fish was around 40 pounds. Well, according to Kevin's Scale, my Blue Catfish was 42 pounds! My second Personal Best! My camera battery was messing up on me, so I had a very hard time taking the picture but I made sure to get a couple. Now we got back to fishing, didn't catch anymore big ones, but man I know we caught probably about 10-15 more of those decent Blue Cats! It was a blast! Then we stopped getting good bites, so we moved just a small distance, which was to the other side of the pilands. Just gave it about 15 minutes, caught only a few more of those nice Blue Cats and then we moved again.

Now, we moved back up towards the boat ramp since our fishing time was getting close to the end, we went back to the island we had caught the stripers at earlier in the day. Fished there like an hour, some pesky little bites, and then my dad's rod bent way over, and he locked into a very nice 32 pound Blue Cat, the fish came up to the top way out from us and started rolling, luckily it didn't get off. And after a 5 minute fight, the fish was in the boat, got a quick picture and the fish was happily released. Then we missed a few fish that looked like nice ones, and it was almost time to head in, and we tried one more spot which was the Channel area. A couple more of those decent Blue Cats around 10 pounds, and a bunch of missed fish, and before we knew it, sadly our time was up and we reeled up for the last time of the day, and went in.

It was a great day, started out very slow, but certainly got better, the one spot really saved the fishing trip.

I know we must have caught at least 25-30 of the 5-10 pound Blue Cats, I didn't count them or take pictures, but I know we caught so many of them it just didn't make any sense. And of course my 42 pounder, my dads 32 pounder, and the 5 Stripers.

Here are the pictures, enjoy and let me know what you think!

1st picture - My 42lb Blue

2nd Picture - Another of my 42 pounder

3rd picture - My Dad's 32 pounder

Attached Files:

2. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    1st picture - Our Stripers, I caught 4, my dad caught 1.:tounge_out:

2nd Picture - The Big Blue caught in the gill net trying to catch bait.

Attached Files:

3. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Zakk, that's a great report. I'm glad you got to go back and get into those fish, kinda makes up for the first time, I bet. That's a super place to fish, and I hope to get back up that way before too much longer.

4. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Zakk Your the Man.I'm Proud Of you Sir.Thanks for the Fine Report.I can already see Your Name up in Bright Lights.Your Friend.J.D.
    :amazed: :amazed: :amazed: :big_smile_2: :big_smile_2: :big_smile_2:

5. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Thanks fellows, as you probably know, I am still very excited about my big one, because I have had a very hard year, actually my worst year ever! So this was kind of a last minute save for me.:big_smile:

6. bigblaze

bigblaze New Member

State:
    NC
    Hey zakk and John...congratulations!!!!

Awesome fish Zakk thanks for sharing...:big_smile:

7. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    Great report Zakk! Awesome way to finish up the 2006 fishing year! Thanks for the pics!

8. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Thanks guys! I'm ready to go back now!:big_smile:

9. Stumpknocker2

Stumpknocker2 New Member

State:
    NW FL
    Nice fishing and job well done on the story telling. I enjoy reading your post, you give the details that people usually ask for if not told. Props to ya. I am going my self in about an hour, leaving out about 4:30 am, plenty of good bait, and a new Hummingbird 525 fish finder. Maybe it will prove to be useful.

10. mikesxpress

mikesxpress New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Congrats! The James is a great place to fish.
    Mike

11. rsimms

rsimms New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Katmaster, Jr.... I love your reports. Lots of description and detail... I feel like I'm there! Congratulations.... however you need to learn to resize your photos so they're not "squished." :) I might be able to help you out there if you let me know how you're doing it.

12. WHEELMOBILE07

WHEELMOBILE07 New Member

State:
    Martinsville, Virginia
    Thanks for the report zakk, I always enjoy reading your reports. Congrats on the big fish and good luck on your fishing outings into the new year.

Wheelmobile07

13. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Thanks, glad you all enjoy my reports. Richard, I'll work on the picture thing, I didn't think they looked squished, but a few people have told me they are, so I will try to do better from now on.

14. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Glad that you saved your year on the big cats. That is a good way to end it. That looks like an exciting place to fish. I will try it one day while I am visiting that area.

15. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Thanks, it is a fun place to fish, although I wouldn't want to fish there all the time, because it seems to be well....a little too easy if you know what I mean. There's not really much challenge to it, from what I've seen at least. I know people that don't even know how to fish and go there with thier own boat and catch like 30-40 pounders like it's nothing.

16. WHEELMOBILE07

WHEELMOBILE07 New Member

State:
    Martinsville, Virginia
    Too Easy! Please take me there! LOL!

Wheelmobile07

17. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC

You bring the boat, I'll bring the bait? :lol:

18. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Great catch Zakk!!! Congratulations on your new PB Buddy!!!
    Here are a couple of avatars I made up for you From the pics you posted.

19. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Thanks again JW!

20. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    JR you are going to have to stop out fishing every body on here now. Good report and thanks for shareing.