James River Saturday Feb 24

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by Paraguayguy, Feb 24, 2007.

1. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Hit the river at first light launching from Dutch Gap. Tried stripers early, no luck. Begged some shad off a brother from West Virginia. Thank You!!!!

Motored down to Presquille and were fishing by nine. My brother Bob caught his PB 32 pounds within 10 minutes on a completely dead tide in 30 feet. Fished until 11:00 and caught two more teenagers. First time catfishing since Oct. and it was nice to be on the river. Saw five kazillion boats catfishing. How did everybody do?

2. reddcat

reddcat New Member

State:
    Virginia
    fished out of deepbottom, real slow. 2 under 10, 2 over 10,wind makes me crazy, almost always going the wrong way

3. BigKahuna

BigKahuna New Member

State:
    Charles Town West Virginia
    I had a 35-40lb Striper temporarily caught up in my gill net Saturday morning. Thought I had the net snagged on something. She was up there for the same thing we were. I need make sure I bring some of my spin-cast gear next time.
    We fished hard all day, and put allot of fresh bait on the fish we marked, but had little luck. But, thats fishing. I will be headed back down Thurs or Fri for more abuse.

4. jwfish

jwfish New Member

State:
    columbus ohio
    Thanks for the report guys,I will be bringing my daughter and her boyfriend down at the end of march for a week of cating.Hope the bait is not to hard to find that 9 ft throw net puts a hurting on me after a while.Bruce that is a real nice cat you got there,was that caught on gizzard shad?Hope to run in to you and your wife again while we are down there.

5. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    End of March is the best time to be on the James. Catfish bite all day long. White Shad, White Perch, American Shad, Herring, Striped Bass are all thick in the river spawning. You are in for the time of your life. The only thing that can mess you up is high winds and they never last more than two days. Good luck. Ask before you get here and we will point you to where the Shad are.

6. critter68

critter68 New Member

State:
    Alexandria, Virginia
    Got to Deep Bottom around 9 AM, caught a few small shad right around the dock and got a few from someone with a gill net. Marked huge bait balls all around the deep water there, so I started at the creek on the left. No luck there. Fished a few tree tops- still no luck (ok one dink) Stopped at the channel marker below Deep Bottom cut, but the Coast Guard got there and started to pull the marker out and straighten it so I had to move from there. Wind was with me most of the time, but still annoying. Finally caught a 17 around a wing dam above Jimmy Deans. It was still a good day because I got on the river!!!

7. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    Man, all this talk about fishing has me itching to get out there ASAP!

Good to see you all still caught some fish. Paraguay - congrats to your brother on his new PB.

8. WHEELMOBILE07

WHEELMOBILE07 New Member

State:
    Martinsville, Virginia
    I believe the bite on the James is about to Heat up, What do yall think?

Wheelmobile07

9. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Going Sunday morning as they are biting good enough to make me smile:smile2: