James River - Sat the 13th catfish extravaganza!

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by fish guts, Jan 6, 2007.

1. fish guts

fish guts New Member

i am taking my friend fishing sat the 13 on the james. neither of us have been before. just looking for a little help so we dont get skunked. like where is a good place to put in? should i travel Up or down stream from said spot? what kind of water depths should i be concentrating on? and mabey a little help on where to find some bait? i know its alot to ask but i just want to make it a good trip, because i honistly dont think im ever going to find time to fish the james again any time soon:angry: but if you dont want to post that kind of info just pm me. dont worry i wont tell a sole!!!

Thanks, Fish Guts

2. gottafish

gottafish New Member

State:
    Chesapeake, VA
    Anything for a LIP pier enthusiast :lol:

Where you go depends largely on the weather forecast. I may be up there myself, but don't know where yet. Send me a PM and I'll share some info with you.
    /Scott

3. F150Catfish

F150Catfish New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    well lower james, theres some nice blue catfish... well cutbait shad...

4. fish guts

fish guts New Member

fished saturday just below 295 both sides, and at the hole by the rock. 1small flat head to show for it. lots of little nibblers but nothing big enoph to take the bait. plus i offically suck at catching shad, i threw the net for an hour and caught one 8in, and three about 3in long. mabey next time.

5. reddcat

reddcat New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Hey fishguts, man Im sorry that you had the poor luck with the bait . Next time you are in the area call ,Ill tell you where I catch bait we went the sixth and caught two coolers of the 8" size along with a few cutters.the bite was not on in the area s we fished but thats on me cause other people caught fish.

bruce / reddcat 804 627 2493

6. fish guts

fish guts New Member

somebody please tell me a good website to buy a gill net from , and what kind should i get ?

thanks.

7. reddcat

reddcat New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Hey man don't give up on the cast net, they are very effective if you are throwing on good locations. I caught them all last winter with cast net. Like I sais call me and I'l l give you a couple of places where I hit em.
    804 627 2493 / Bruce

I am waiting on the game commissian to post their rules on the gill nets but the general idea looks like this:
    1 7/8" bar = 3 3/4 Streched
    100' length
    1 Hour soak time
    I. D. must be on net

Fishnetco.com seems to be the cheapest

Must have a gill net licence

8. gottafish

gottafish New Member

State:
    Chesapeake, VA
    fishnetco "might" have some 3 1/2 inch stretch net left. They special ordered a small amount a few weeks ago. Other than that, the smallest size they carry is 4" stretch (2" bar) which is what a lot of guys are using. That size is "currently" illegal on the James from Jan til Mar or Apr. Since the recommendations that were provided to VMRC by the recreational fishermen didn't include 4" net, it is likely that won't change.

50 feet long is all you need @ $40 - $50

9. dwordenfish

dwordenfish New Member

State:
    massachusetts
    Hey Reddcat
    I have been down to the James for a few years to fish, we had trouble too with the cast net. We tried it out at our home rivers and were able to catch some nice bunker for striper fishing.
    Do you need a permit for using a cast net? I saw a website that said you did, but I can't find that info now.
    I saw many tossing nets against the shore just entering the barge pits above 295. Are there other spots worth throwing a cast net that might (sorry) net some good results.
    I'll be down Feb 17th for a week. Maybe I'll see you on the water? We will be in the targa with (apology) Massachusetts registration.

Dave Worden

thanks for the advice you have posted so far.

10. gottafish

gottafish New Member

State:
    Chesapeake, VA
    No permit/license required when castnetting for bait. That area near the barge pits is a good place to look.

11. reddcat

reddcat New Member

State:
    Virginia
  12. WHEELMOBILE07

WHEELMOBILE07 New Member

State:
    Martinsville, Virginia
    Id tend to agree don't give up on the castnet, that thing has become just as important as my fishing rods to me. Saves a lot of money and also gives your upper body some exercise.

Wheelmobile07