James River Rigging?

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by caveman, Nov 11, 2008.

1. caveman

caveman New Member

State:
    va
    i'm curious as to how everyone is rigging up on the james?

i'm currently using cut shad, eel, bream.

using a sliding rig with crane swivel and circle hooks.

8oz doughnut weights, 8/0-10/0 gama and owner circles.

usually hooking bait through a corner or through the head.

what's everyone else doing?

thanks
    vaughn

2. hookman571

hookman571 New Member

State:
    Maryland
    Exactly the same thing.

3. Dallison

Dallison Member

State:
    Virginia
    I use the same setup.

4. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    Same here. 18-24" leader.

5. thelastcast

thelastcast New Member

State:
    Virginia
    for shad-i do the 3way swivel w/ a 5oz. flat weight-
    8/0 hook on 24 inch leader
    light line on the weight in case of a snag
    -sometimes for LIVE eel i'll do the slide sinker so i can let out some line every few minutes

6. freshbaitrules

freshbaitrules New Member

State:
    virginia
    Hey Randy,
    I have never fished a whole live eel. At $3.00 per, I would spend all my beer money just to set a few rods:smile2:

On a more serious note how well have you been doing on whole eels and do you see a difference between whole and cut?

How did you do on the full moon cruise?

7. thelastcast

thelastcast New Member

State:
    Virginia
    On the eel thing, they're a pain in the tail fishing live, sometimes they'll twist & knot theirselves up so bad you can't un-do the dang thing & you have to cut your hook off & re-tie. (happened last night to Melissa)as far as using them cut, i ain't ever caught anything worth talkin about, but i know plenty of others that do. I have caught 2 of 3 citations with them live, A 22(old record) and a 32. We get alot of pull-downs on them, but i let them peel off ALOT of line before setting the hook.Stripers also love them,so that's a big reason i buy them. There's always that chance!:smile2:
    -On Sunday's excursion we took a friend & he missed at least 4-5 fish on eel and shad. (Too anxious on that hook set.) Melissa got one 10lber, and i couldn't buy a bite. And last night Lissa & i both got skunked. We're gonna try to go 1-2 more trips by the end of the week-end. I'll post results. I'm gonna send you a pm on another subject.......cya

8. 66TBONE

66TBONE New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Same here also!

9. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    Cut vs live eel....had best results cutting up big ones into nice chunks. The fish will eat it right away. When you're fishing a live one, the cats will come around and attack it and try to kill it, so I'm told and from experience looks to be true, and won't really eat the thing until they smack it around a bit. So gotta be patient and not try to yank your rod prematurely.