James River Report

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by jwfish, Oct 14, 2006.

1. jwfish

jwfish Member

State:
    columbus ohio
    My wife and me are going to the dutch gap area of the james the first week of november and I am just checking to see if the fish are moveing to there wintering holes yet and if anyone has been on the river lately.Thanks for any info Jerry.

2. flemflamman

flemflamman New Member

State:
    va
    I have read good reports lately

I wouldnt go by what Im doing bcz Im new to that part of the james and kind of rely on blind luck down there. Water temps where low 60's and we have had more rain and some cold lately so by NOV I think the winter pattern would be good places to fish

3. jimmyk

jimmyk New Member

State:
    virginia
    The rain has got the river a little up. ther is still some trees and brush floating in it so be careful. the water temp is coming down. It was 55 or so last Monday. I fish that are also. This is the first winter that i have owned a boat, so I can't wait to fight some big blues.

4. jwfish

jwfish Member

State:
    columbus ohio
    Jimmy I will be going out of the deep bottom ramp the 5-9 of november if you are down on the river stop by and say Hi.I will be in a 18 ft fisher with a 75 merc ohio tages and rod holders all over it.That goes fo any other Boc members too.

5. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy Active Member

State:
    Virginia
    Snuck in a quick afternoon trip on the James River with my brother. We found bait easily at the first entrance downstream on the right from the deep bottom ramp. We had lines in the water by 4:00 PM. We fished until 6:30 and caught 8 bluecats and one soon to be grilled striped bass. No monster fish for us today. Small cats were 8-9 pounds and two over twenty and a few teenagers thrown in. It was so nice to catch fish in the daylight in 70 degree.

6. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Hey, how do you catch bait on the james river? Most guys seem to use Gill nets but I don't have one of them and since they are illegal where I fish mostly I don't want to buy one, is it possible to just catch bait in a cast net there? What about in the Winter, is bait easy to get then also?

Sorry to ask so many questions, I'm just trying to learn a little more about the James River for when I go this Winter.

7. jwfish

jwfish Member

State:
    columbus ohio
    Nice job on the cats Kennth ,that is great for just a couple of hours of fishing.By the way what did you get the striper on?Zakk I use a throw net down on the james and don't have to much trouble getting bait but I am fishing from a boat and look for schools on my fishfinder.

8. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy Active Member

State:
    Virginia
    I use a Calusa cast net. I went up in the opening to the right downstream from Deep Bottom. I had a gill net but sold it on ebay as I figured they would be illegal here soon plus I fish by myself and a gill net can be hard to set and pull in the wind by yourself. Once it gets cold, there is usually plenty of bait at Dutch Gap downstream first right. There are some ponds up that cut. The first entrance to the pond usually has shad around. If I am super paranoid about finding bait, I catch blue gills out my pond and use them fresh. Blue cats like Blue gills almost as much as shad. Striper we caught yesterday was on cut shad. We missed a kazillion becauce our hooks and bait were too big. When I cleaned the striper last night, its gut was loaded with small minnows about as the same size as my little finger. I am going again Saturday and fish two rods with small bait in shallow water specifically for stripers. The fish I grilled last night was absolutely delicious. I want more! Hope the poisons in the James don't kill me or even worse, make me impotent. :big_smile:

9. jwfish

jwfish Member

State:
    columbus ohio
    I am takeing a few packages of frozen skipjack down with me but you can't beat those big old gizzard shad cut up from the james.Hopefully I can get a few of them striper only caught 2 last time I was there.I fish the ohio river alot and the james has alot more and bigger bait fish than any river I have been on.Thanks for the reports I have a feeling me and my wife are going to do well next week.I will post so pitures if I can figurer out how to attach them to a post.

10. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Thanks guys, and Greg I know you guys will look out for us if we need some bait, nothing better then a huge Gizzard Shad. :big_smile: I'll be back this Winter probably. Definitely coming back sometime in this Fall because the guide offered a great discount to us since we had a bad trip last time.

11. Nightfisher

Nightfisher Guest

You know where to find us.:cool2: :big_smile:

12. gottafish

gottafish New Member

State:
    Chesapeake, VA
    Paraguayguy, check the dgif website. You might have sold that gillnet a little early. The proposed amendment to the gillnet statutes should allow us to harvest gizzard shad on the VMRC license. Great news!

KMJ, I'm with nightfisher. Just post for assistance and you'll get it if we're around.

13. jimmyk

jimmyk New Member

State:
    virginia
    jwfish, I will be fishing this weekend I hope. I'll look for ya. I'll be in a blue nitro bass boat with a big rod rack on the back. Hope to se ya.

14. jwfish

jwfish Member

State:
    columbus ohio
    I won't be on the water saturday want to rest a little after that 8 hour drive but I will be out all day sunday threw thrusday jimmyk.Looks like good weather next week no major weather systems blowing in.

15. flemflamman

flemflamman New Member

State:
    va
    ill be out there nov 9th. will you have access to the computer while your here?