James River Report - Sat 4/28

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by JPritch, Apr 30, 2007.

1. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    Launched out of Dutch Gap around 1pm. Headed up river some, got alot of bites but no hookups. Then came back down to the plant with no luck. We then headed down to the Deep Bottom horseshoe and the fishing got really hot as the sun went down. Fished around some old dock pilings in about 15 ft of water. No monsters, all under 10 lbs, but we stayed busy from 6-9pm. Used cut eel which accounted for about 80% of the hookups, and smaller cuts of gizzard shad. 6oz of lead was plenty to hold bottom.

Now here is the funny part. This was only my second trip to the James, and first in command of a boat. I gotta remember to pay more attention to this thing called tide. When we decided to head back in, I traveled in on the opposite site of the river because the side we were on had alot of pilings and stumps. Then I noticed my motor would rev really high but we weren't going anywhere. I thought my new motor had blown. I was freaking out thinking I was gonna need a tow. Turns out we were sitting in about 1ft of water, and my prop was spinning in pure mud. I had failed to account for the outgoing tide!:lol: I had to tilt up to where the prop was skimming just under the surface and powered us about 100 yards until we got to the main river channel and deeper water.

I think it was a good night for fishing, as we were heading in, passed a couple boats anchored near shore pulling in some nice blues.

2. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    I would highly recommend you do a complete flush of the engine when you can.No telling what you sucked up into the water pump, impeller and internal passage ways etc.It only takes a few seconds running to wear that impeller significantly.:eek:oooh:

3. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    Thanks Jim. I'll do that tonight for sure.

4. WHEELMOBILE07

WHEELMOBILE07 New Member

State:
    Martinsville, Virginia
    Glad to hear that you had a good time bro, cant wait till I can get up to the james to try for some of those monster blues.

Wheelmobile07

5. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    Welcome back Trey, long time no see on the BOC.

6. rebcatman

rebcatman New Member

State:
    Manassas, Virginia
    Thanks for the report and heads up on watching the tide.