James river Report 5/4/07

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by Rickjr, May 4, 2007.

1. Rickjr

Rickjr New Member

State:
    VA
    Very good fishing today .Put in at Osbourne landing went up to richmond caught some herring ....came back to Dutch gap fishing with fresh cut bait caught my new personal best 40lb. Blue:big_smile: and hung into a few nice ones but lost due to crappy hook........:sad2:

Attached Files:

2. tnkatman

tnkatman New Member

State:
    Bluff City, TN
    Nice fish Rick, congratulations.

3. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    Nice fish Rick. Welcome to the BOC!

4. hillbeach

hillbeach New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Nice fish. Good to see some bing caught thought they were starting to spawn.

5. rebcatman

rebcatman New Member

State:
    Manassas, Virginia
    Rick,

Nice fish.

6. alwayslearning

alwayslearning New Member

State:
    Virginia Beach, VA
    I paid a guide to take us fishing a couple of Weeks ago to get us started on the right foot with cat fishing the James River. Now I want to do it ourselves. My question is I see people talking about blues starting to spawn. Is it going to be to late to go fishing next weekend (5/12) to get in some good fishing? I don't need to catch huge fish to be happy I would just like to be on a good steady bite. thanks in advance for any help.

7. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy Active Member

State:
    Virginia
    If you are close by and want to spend a nice day on the river, I'd say give it a try. If you are coming from a ways away, I'd say give it a rest until Late June. I have been in South America hunting for two weeks but my brothers have been going a bunch. The small Blue cats that bite like crazy in downtown Richmond have all but disappeared. Spawning?

Water has been up to 72 degrees and currently dropped slightly but will get back up there by week's end due to 80 degree days. Still plenty of stripers in the river if you hold off until the 15th you can keep two fish between 18 and 26 inches. I think it might be too close to the spawn to reliably wear out the cats. Good luck.

8. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Nice fish.Every time I see James river blues I am struck by how light colored they are.Most of the guides wont even book you in May because of the spawn,HOWEVER not all the fish spawn at once so you just might get something bigger maybe not.:smile2:

9. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    Great fish Rick!

I went the previous weekend and hooked a load of dinks and the water temps were almost 70. I almost decided to come down yesterday, but decided the spawn was probably on so I stayed at home. Dangit! I probably missed some good fishing.

10. alwayslearning

State:
    Virginia Beach, VA
    It is starting to look like weather will make my decision easy since it is calling for rain Saturday. I would be driving up from Virginia Beach so I guess I will just make a decision on Friday. If I go I will let everyone know how I did.

11. gotbait

gotbait New Member

State:
    VA
    They're not ALL light, Jim. If you knew the chemical content of the James, you'd be a little "off-colored" too.:tounge_out:

12. bluebruiser at james

bluebruiser at james New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Nice catch ..Im tryin to get out before the spawn..If not the Drum are drummin...CBBT...LOL:roll_eyes:

13. alwayslearning

State:
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Well we made it out Saturday but didn't have much luck. Wasn't able to catch any live bait and only caught 1 blue cat 2lbs on our last piece of store bought cut shad. We didn't get to fish long because we got a late start and had to dodge the rain storms. At least we didn't get skunked.:smile2:

14. Rickjr

Rickjr New Member

State:
    VA
    I went out today,what a great day to be on the river...nice weather...no bait in the throw net.{Had a 5lb large mouth bass in net but hung up and ripped my net}...had to catch bluegill on nightcrawlers.Had a few good hits, 1 Blue about 10lbs........lots of smaller cats ...Going tommorrow too....report later...:big_smile: Fish are spawning so i'm marking and finding new spots..:cool2:

15. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    I heard they were spawning too.

16. Skiff1980

Skiff1980 Member

State:
    VA
    When is a good time to fish the James? I have never been, but really want to try.

17. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    I just started fishing it, but pretty much year round minus the spawn. I hear the biggest numbers of monsters are pulled between November to March.

I'm itching to go so bad, but don't want to haul the boat 2 hours to catch dinks during the spawn. I'll have to wait it out some more I guess.

18. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    Guys I would say the end of june before they start to get back to the bite , and your bigger fish can be targeted better from nov to march as they will move back into the deeper holes then. But you can catch big fish from june to nov you just need to know the river and what the fish are doing at what point of the tides. This is a big plus to any tidal waters

19. Skiff1980

Skiff1980 Member

State:
    VA
    How hard is bait to find? I have had a couple of friends go up with no luck and had a couple go up and pull monsters out of the James. Would it be better to go out with a guide the first couple times and learn a little about it or just go.

20. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    I would definitely recommend you go with a guide the first time or so.Lots of folks catch bait with a gill net but check local regs for rules and license.I would say Nov and Mar if I had to chose just 2 months.Caught 9 fish which weighed 349lbs one Nov day.One of those fish was 18lbs so you can see the other 8 avgd 40lbs +.There are several good guides that will take good care of you.A guide friend of mine fishing with just his brother had 4 count em 4 plus 50 fish on at the SAME time and landed all 4.Made for some really interesting pics and it was hard to tell the winners from the losers.:big_smile::lol: