James River Question

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by catman823, Apr 17, 2007.

1. catman823

catman823 New Member

State:
    pa
    Being mostly a lake fisherman I was wondering what advice you can give a guy who wants to try his luck on the James. I have the equipment that I use in Santee. What is the northernmost spots to have success catching cats. Trying to save drive time from PA.

2. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    If you're trophy hunting for blues, you need to go below Richmond on the tidal James. Put in at Osborne Landing/Dutch Gap/Deep Bottom...

3. rebcatman

rebcatman New Member

State:
    Manassas, Virginia
    I have only fished the James once, but as a veteran of the board, I have read enough from others that I might be able to help you out.

There is plenty of bait to be caught in the James. Use cut shad or whole shad. Most folks use hooks from 7/0 to 10/0 and the apporate amount of lead. I think most folks fish the channel and the nearby ledges,and of course holes. A fish finder is a must. And as JP said fish below Richmond. Good luck.

4. catman823

catman823 New Member

State:
    pa
    Thanks for the information.

5. rebcatman

rebcatman New Member

State:
    Manassas, Virginia
    You are welcome. Hope you catch a bunch on your trip down.

6. olwhiskers

olwhiskers New Member

State:
    Arizona
    I'm from Iowa, we used lighter tackle on rivers and lakes (Nishna, Beavers lake ect..) Come to the James is like fishing 1. river flowing up stream (fast) 2. Null (lake) 3. River flowing down stream (fast) and everything in between. Do not bring anything less than 25 line with 6oz. I use around 50 lbs of casion with 8 to ten oz weight and size 7-8 hook. With Abu 7000-9000 and 8-9 foot Cat Max. My heart was broken quite a bit before I figured this out. It's easy to get info from the locals but some of us are still a little stubborn to ask so keep on keepn on Bro and good luck becouse they are out there!!

7. WHEELMOBILE07

WHEELMOBILE07 New Member

State:
    Martinsville, Virginia
    Listen to those fellas and I think you will have a good start. The rest will come from trial and error.

Wheelmobile07