James River-Penn 320s with braid or Penn 330s with mono?

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by aquaman9, Jan 20, 2010.

1. aquaman9

aquaman9 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Need a few more rods on the boat. Would like to here from experianced James River fisherman. I will use them on the bay also for stripers. I enjoy using my 8ft downrigger rods but will probably go with 7ft tiger rods. Anyone know the diferance between the GTi and the GT2s?

2. bluecat69

bluecat69 New Member

State:
    Tupelo, MS
    The GTi is the older version of the newer model GT2.
    I have 6- 320 GT's (GTi and GT2 mixture) spooled with 80lb powerpro braid. I use 7 foot MH Tiger rods with them. They are a great boat combo and even with the bay fishing will not go wrong. Make sure you have a good mono leader also.
    Hope this helps you out.
    Mike

3. ramon06

ramon06 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    I agree I have 2 Penn 320GT2s with 80LB PP and they are matted to 7' MH Tiger Rod's. Strong Combo

4. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    I have the same setups as the guys above.

Penn 320GT2's on 7' MH Tigers. I use 40# big game mono on mine though, only b/c spooling up with braid would have cost too damn much.

5. aquaman9

aquaman9 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I think you guy's are right. Talked to Oran at OSnets last night and he told me that the 330 a little to big to cast. Also now looking into the possability of the Tiger lite version that some people are using with the smaller cork handle. It might make my wife happy.

6. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    My opinion is the 320GT2 or something of similar size doesn't match up well with the H Tiger Lite, size and weight wise. I'd recommend a smaller reel like an Abu 6500 or Tekota 500 for the best feel and balance. I use a 6500 on my Tiger Lite.

That's just my opinion. Probably best to go to the store and try them out in person to see what feels best to you.

7. catfishwillee

catfishwillee Member

State:
    Knoxville, TN
    i have casted a 7 mh tiger lite with an abu 9000 and the reel didn't feel to big on it but the bottom cork handle didn't seem long enough for good casting.

8. ramon06

State:
    Alabama
    I agree with Jpritch if you're getting the Orange Tiger in MH a Penn 320GT2 is perfect, if you're doing a light stick with a 6500. A little rod with a big reel doesnt make since, match your gear together

9. aquaman9

aquaman9 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Bought two new 320s and tiger MH rods at Greentop, spooled with mono so I won't tear up the catfish with the braid. Thanks again to all

10. ramon06

State:
    Alabama
    good choice there that combo will not let you down, but braid doesnt hurt fish, my 2 Penn 320s and MH Tigers are spooled with 80LB Power Pro braid, I use a 60LB Mono leader

11. Bluebruiser@Jmestwn

Bluebruiser@Jmestwn New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I caught my first cobia on a penn 320 gti..Ive trolled umbrella rigs on 330's with 50 lb stripers attached to them pullem in no problem..To me those reels are saltwater big game reels.Way overkill for blue catfish..I fish a daiwaX30SHA,And a Saltist 30 and sometimes when im skipping a 15lbr on the surface ,i question if that may be too big..Started with abu 6500c3..Later bought a 7000 stripped lvlwnd and breaks..and later the ones i fish now..Nothing wrong with fishing big reels.....But me personnally i enjoy the sport of it ,to me thers no fun in catchin 50 /60lb fish on 100lb test with 500yards of line...I wouldnt crappie fish with a 7000 either..Those reels are on charter boats going offshore in saltwater..I dont think a catfish is goin to clear the water and strip 100yds. of line....i use 30 lb mono(trilene BG) with 60 lb leader never lost a fish to line strength.But......I definitly landed the cobia with the 320 gti.safe to say

12. Bluebruiser@Jmestwn

State:
    Virginia
    is this rod that i keep hearing about a spinning rod or bait caster....?all correspondance i can find says spinning.....??

13. ramon06

State:
    Alabama
    I believe the lights are the White ones like they sell in Walmart. They come in baitcaster and spinning models. Hopefully he bought the Orange ones, they come in MH and M. They are baitcasters.

14. Bluebruiser@Jmestwn

State:
    Virginia
    Thats what i was thinking.I use Tica's.As soon as i posted the post i wanted to say to everyone who uses the tiger/320/330 set up obviously judging by the fish in yalls pics the set up works very well for yall.

15. aquaman9

aquaman9 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Ugly stick Tiger lite rods are orange also but with cork handles and the Heavy modle is rated at 12-40 and about 1/2 the weight as the tiger rods that are MH rated to 50lbs. I put 320s on the heavier rods so I can use the also for trolling in the ba an yes Cobia. I put ambassador reels on the Tiger lite rods. I fish as much salt as I do frsh so I try to keep my rods ready for many differant situations.

16. Bluebruiser@Jmestwn

State:
    Virginia
    I fish all summer for cobia,drum,shark..You name it and also fish the same set up for salt as i do fresh.Big cats fill my time in the late fall through may,then its back to old salt.
    I have smaller bait/flounder rods that are made by ugly stick,i use them for bass fishing,and spot catching during cobia season..and misc bait...

Last edited: Jan 31, 2010