James River Nov 9 Trip

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by Paraguayguy, Nov 9, 2006.

1. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Beautiful day on the water but not many fish. Looked and looked for bait with no luck. Last week Gizzards were all over the flats, not today. Caught some small finger size minnows in the cast net. Only caught two small 1 1/2 pounds cats. We cut one of the blue cats up but no big canibals wanted them.

Even begged a carp off a Commercial Fisherman. Nice guy. He showed us his boat, how its set up, how he runs his traps. He had loads of small 3/4 to 2 pound cats. Uses cheese. soybean, and shrimp heads for bait. Looking at his catch, its pretty much small cats and two carp. I noticed about ten percent of the catch were small channel cats. That caught my eye becauce I have never caught one in the Tidal James. The Fisherman told me he thinks the big bluecats eat them. Seems right to me.

River was 54 degrees,dirty, and an outgoing tide you wouldn't believe. Loads of logs were floating by. Be careful! We fished from 9:30 AM until 12:30. Launched from Deep Bottom. Hit spots all the way to Hopewell. Not very many people fishing today. The lady at Jordon Point said Everyone tore em up yesterday, cats and stripers. We caught quality fish nonstop last week. Wasn't our day for fish but still beautiful fall daywith good company.

2. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    Just wasn't your day, but that's how it goes sometimes. You'll hook into a big one next time!

Good Luck!

3. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I checked around with some other guys I know that fished yesterday in the Rappahannock for cats, Chesapeake Bay for Stripers, Inshore for sea trout, and offshore for Bluefin Tuna. Everyone has been catching like crazy for the last week and it went cold for everyone yesterday. I have to think the sudden High Pressure change and full moon somehow combined to make for a slow fishing day. That's my excuse and I'm sticking with it.:tounge_out:

4. jonnycat

jonnycat New Member

State:
    Maryland
    That sounds as good as any other excuse I would come up with. I fished last Fri night till noon Sat from DB on the James and my biggest was only about 15lbs. I didn't bring it in the boat but just shook the hook from its mouth. I used this excuse last weekend; "I just was not holding my mouth right". Maybe during the week of Thanksgiving I'll have better luck and be able to say otherwise about my expression. Later for now---jonnycat

5. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    Keep after them! I really wanna try to James, i've heard it's excellent for those big blues. My cousin caught a 70 pounder last spring so i guess it's true!

6. O2Bfishing

O2Bfishing New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    i cant imagine "cutting up a bluecat for bait" of ANY size. Just dont seem right to me. i know they eat each other at TIMES, but thats mother nature not human interference

7. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I've been known to cut up whatever fish for bait or frying, It all depends on my mood. I was pretty desperate the other day.:confused2:

8. SUNDROP

SUNDROP New Member

State:
    Washington
    I've found the Solunar charts to be very accurate telling me when to fish. Bases best times on solar and lunar influence as well as time of year. Use that and the weather as it relates to Low/High pressures and you can slay em! Day before a Low comes through or 2 days after, with a cloudy sky seems best for me regardless of time of year here in the South as long as water temps are 50ish +... Good Solunar chart available at NCAngler web.

9. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I am a firm believer in the tables. They work for both fishing and hunting. That said, if the weather is nice and I have some extra time, My butt will be doing one or the other and having a great time regardless of whether I'm catching fish or shooting game.:big_smile:

10. gottafish

gottafish New Member

State:
    Chesapeake, VA
    Yep, the bite has definitely died off. I fished last weekend and picked up two over 60, a 44, a couple in the 30s and a bunch of dinks. Fished this friday and saturday and had to work for a bite. Got two 30s on friday, but that's it for the day. Got one bite yesterday and boated a 55, but that was it for the day.

Something needs to change.

/Scott