James River - Monacan Park Launch

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by messemore, Aug 9, 2009.

1. messemore

messemore New Member

State:
    Virginia
    We fished a catfish tournament last night. We launch about 6pm and fishing all night. We caught a lot of fish under 10 pound. Then about 2am I caught a flat head that weighed 27 pounds which is my personal best.

I caught the 27 pounder on goldfish. We have 10 goldfish and about 30 perch. We ran out of bait about 4:30am.

This fishing got me first place in the tournament.

Thanks to the "Goldfish Man" for sponsoring the tournament.

Attached Files:

2. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Welcome aboard the boc Billy. Congrats on some real nice catches last night an congrats on the tourney win! That's what is fun not only catching cats but winning a tournament along with an very enjoyable night!

3. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    Nice fish. Monacan....isn't that in the Lynchburg/Amherst area?

4. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Welcome to the BOC Billy. And that sure is a nice fish. How did you do in the tourney?

5. screamnreels

screamnreels Member

State:
    Halifax county
    Welcome to the boc billy, thats a nice fish. Congratulations on the PB.

6. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Welcome to the BOC and congratulations on a very nice fish. I grew up on that part of the river. We had a cabin downstream from Monacan below the island there. We lived at the river house from March thru October every year. They had boat houses at Ruesens Dam then and my Dad would take us down to the Dam , park the boat and run us to school before he went to work. We would go to my Grandfather's farm on Trents Ferry Road after school and Dad would pick us up after work. There were no Flatties in the river then but we used to set limb lines and trot lines a few times a year to fill the freezer with Channel Cats. You definitely brought back some fond memories for this old guy.

Now my questions. Did you get the big flat above the rapids at bald eagle. The stretch up to the Island at Holcomb Rock always looked like Flathead city to me. Did you ever fish with my dear deceased buddy Pete Rice. He was a flathead fishing machine who lived in Colman Falls.

7. Reel_Blues

Reel_Blues New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Yeah josh that down here in my neck of the woods.:big_smile:

8. Reel_Blues

Reel_Blues New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Billy welcome to the BOC and congrats on the pb and the tourny win.:wink:

9. messemore

messemore New Member

State:
    Virginia
    These are the replies to all the question so far.

It's in Amherst county. West of 29 on route 130. I actually live on Burgess Road just off Monacan Road on the river by the island. I hope to see you on the river.

I took first place in the tourney. The top three places paid. All top three places were over 20 pounds.

We when all the way to Holcomb Rock. The last half mile was the worst. We had to pull the boat. Then wait until daylight in order to get out.

10. GoldfishMansGrandson

GoldfishMansGrandson New Member

State:
    Virginia
    hey guys,

This is the Goldfish Man's grandson, Anthony. The Goldfish Man would like to thank everyone in the last tournament and congratulate the winners. He wants to let everyone know that $100 of the tournament's funds will go to the American Cancer Society in memory of Jerry Grubbs.

I'll be checking the forum as often as I can for the Goldfish Man to see all comments and quotes. Have a good one guys. Fish ON!

11. GoldfishMansGrandson

GoldfishMansGrandson New Member

State:
    Virginia
    hey guys,

This is the Goldfish Man's grandson, Anthony. The Goldfish Man would like to thank everyone in the last tournament and congratulate the winners. He wants to let everyone know that $100 of the tournament's funds will go to the American Cancer Society in memory of Jerry Grubbs.

I'll be checking the forum as often as I can for the Goldfish Man to see all comments and quotes. Have a good one guys. Fish ON!

12. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Billy, Our old place's must be right by you. Burgess Road was named for an ornery old guy that I loved dearly Carol Burgess. We had a cottage there , three actually for 40 years. We started out in the log cabin that we rented for $150 per summer from the Sanfords.(It was a dump then). We then moved next door, (One downstream) when my Dad bought the Wheeler's place. Its above Rally Novack. He can be difficult but his sister, (my age) was a Babe in High School. The last place we had which my Mom sold to Cecil Taylor a few years back was my favorite as it was winterized and my sorry brothers and I could raise caine all winter long. Give my best to Cecil and Finley Almond. Finley has been a friend since I was a pup. I will have to drop by and say hello when I am up that way. I caught some big smallmouths up to 4 pounds up near Holcomb Rock and lost a Musky at the bank that I know went 30 pounds. What a wonderful place to live. I hope you have kids to share it with.

13. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

Name:
    Unspecified
    Welcome to the BOC, Billy. :0a25:

Let me add a slap on the back for a great tourney win! :wink:

14. MUSKAT

MUSKAT New Member

State:
    VIRGINIA
    Congrats on the nice fish you caught. I have fished several of Mr. Stinsons (goldfish man) tounaments over the years. He is a super nice man and loves to see the fish people catch and bring to the scales. I knew Pete Rice and used to fish some of his tournaments as well. Good guy. So you drug your boat all the way to the damn? You guys must have been wore out. Again congrats.

15. riverdawg-1

riverdawg-1 New Member

State:
    salem, va
    anybody know how often the torny's are? are they open to anyone and entry fee?
    thanks chip

16. MUSKAT

MUSKAT New Member

State:
    VIRGINIA
    There is a group of us who usually fish most of them and Mr. Stinson tries to work them so most of us can fish. They are open to anyone. They start at 6:00 pm on Saturday and run till Sunday at 9:00 am. The fee is normally $25 per person. I talked to him last night and he said he may have one on the 22nd of this month. He is located on rt. 130 just down from Madison Heights. Hope this helps.

17. busted line

busted line New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Some of you may remember my Dad, Langhorne and his brother Allan, they fished up and down the river and camped at Snowden, taking the train up from Lynchburg.They knew the folks that owned the cabin. Just sparked fond memories of the trips Dad took myself and brothers back in those days-
    busted line