James River Jan 16 catfish results

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by gottafish, Jan 16, 2006.

1. gottafish

gottafish New Member

State:
    Chesapeake, VA
    What a nice day today!! The wind was almost nonexistent and there were surprisingly few boats out. Picked up 6 fish today - 16,22,24,26,28,32 and 40.
    I can't get enough - next weekend hurry up and get here!!!

/Scott

Attached Files:

2. Vacatfisher

Vacatfisher New Member

nice fish man....you did better than me today thats for shure....

3. Malligood24

Malligood24 New Member

State:
    Richmond, Va
    Nice fish Scott!! Did you go out with someone or did you have a self timer on that camera? i cant wait to get out on the 28th again...only been 2 weeks, but seems like forever! I ordered two more rod holders that should be here this Friday at the latest, and i think im going to take your idea of making an anchor out of quickrete- how heavy did you make yours and how exactly did you?? I also should have my new gill net by when i go out then as well....it's about time! This time maybe i wont have to beg for some bait from you again! :) I still owe ya man! :)

--Matt--

4. gottafish

gottafish New Member

State:
    Chesapeake, VA
    Thanks vacatfisher. The problem with bank fishing is that you're restricted to whatever is out there in front of you. It stinks - I don't have the patience.

Matt, No sweat on the bait dude. We need to take care of each other.

I just mixed up some quikrete and poured it into a bucket in the 2 gallon range then took an eyebolt, bent the bottom of it and stuck it in. After it set up I just turned the bucket over and popped it out. Ended up with an anchor that weighed 20 or 25 pounds. I mixed a new one up on sunday in preparation for fishing on monday. With the colder weather it didn't set up enough overnite. It fell apart after a couple of dunkings in the river. So be sure you do it soon enough to let it set well. I'm actually talking with trapperearl about building me a heavy reef anchor that will do double duty as a rear anchor.

Good luck with the Gill net.

/Scott

5. gweber

gweber New Member

Scott, It sounds like you had another good day. I've got to get out there and catch a few soon. I'm thinking about this Friday, any chance you're fishing the same day? Were you still downsizing the baits or not?

gweber

6. gottafish

gottafish New Member

State:
    Chesapeake, VA
    No I fished full sized baits. Had some bites though that would have benefitted from a smaller bait. It's a tradeoff I guess - bigger baits for bigger fish with the risk of losing a few opportunities. I was catching fish so I stayed with the bigger baits.

I won't be fishing until saturday. Good luck friday. Tank will be out there.

/Scott

7. FISH PIMP

FISH PIMP New Member

State:
    Cross Junction, VA
    Way to go Scott!!! Boy it seems that you are really tearing um up. Congrats and lets try to hook up on Saturday.

Pete

8. tank3544

tank3544 New Member

State:
    Fredericksburg, VA
    hey gweber i'll be out there friday

keep up the good work scott!

9. gweber

gweber New Member

tank, when and where are you launching on Friday? I'm thinking about going out of Osborne again.

10. tank3544

tank3544 New Member

State:
    Fredericksburg, VA
    osbourne sometime between 630 and 7

let me know .. not sure if you're one of the guys having trouble getting bait but if you are you can follow me to where they are .. plus if you don't have a gill net i can fill your cooler if you stick around for 10 minutes or so

11. gottafish

gottafish New Member

State:
    Chesapeake, VA
    Fish pimp - where are you planning to launch? I'm undecided where I will be going - kinda watching the forecast.

/Scott

12. FISH PIMP

FISH PIMP New Member

State:
    Cross Junction, VA
    Scott,

I'll launch wherever you decide to launch, makes no difference to me.

Pete

13. Malligood24

Malligood24 New Member

State:
    Richmond, Va
    Hey fish pimp, where did you catch that salmon in your picture there?!

on a side note- do you go fly fishing in virginia?

14. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Nice fish agian there Scott.

If you would like to build a anchor that will hold up, And not take much space. TAke a piece of 4" PVC pipe 2 end caps. Drill a hole in one end for a eye bolt. Place a flat washer inside and outside on the eye bolt. I glued around my eye bolt to keep water out. put 25 lbs of tire weights in it. Works great and is easy to store..
    Let me know if you would like to see a picture of it. And I will get one.

Pete

15. Malligood24

Malligood24 New Member

State:
    Richmond, Va
    Hey Pete,

Im looking to get/make a good anchor for cheap without having to pay $60 for one... Can you post a picture for us to see? That sounds like a good idea....

Thanks!
    --Matt--

16. FISH PIMP

FISH PIMP New Member

State:
    Cross Junction, VA
    Hey Matt,

I caught the King Salmon in Pulaski NY on the Salmon River. I go a couple of times each fall before hunting starts. It is about 5 1/2 hours from northern Virginia. Last year between 7 of us we had well over 100 Salmon on. I don't fly fish for them I use lite spinning tackel. I try to get a group of guys together each year for the trip so when the time comes around next fall i'll see if anybody is interested.

17. blkhawkdwn

blkhawkdwn New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    I've fished the James River when i was stationed at Eustis VA but never fished it for cats always fished for strippers. would love to get back there for some cats look likes like u guys are killing them over there on the East Coast

18. kayakgeek

kayakgeek New Member

State:
    Fredericksburg, VA
    Another great series of fish!!!

Waiting for my Gill net to arrive this week. I hope the Wx holds this weekend. Looking to try Osborne on Sunday if my wife is feeling better. She is having her knee scoped tomorrow.

19. Malligood24

Malligood24 New Member

State:
    Richmond, Va
    Sounds like a lot of fun Pete. Definitely put a posting up and let us know when ya'll might be going up there. I'd be interested in making the trip....never been salmon fishing before but it looks like a lot of fun!

--Matt--

20. gottafish

gottafish New Member

State:
    Chesapeake, VA
    Hey Matt, you flyfish?