James River Jan 14 - Report & Pic

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by gottafish, Jan 14, 2006.

1. gottafish

gottafish New Member

State:
    Chesapeake, VA
    Fished the James today. It was definitely a windy one!! Knowing it would be an issue, I bought a bag of quikrete yesterday and poured myself an anchor for the back of the boat so that I could keep myself positioned.

Things started out a little slow, I picked up a couple small fish - nothing to write home about. As I was working my way upriver from hole to hole, I marked a bunch of fish all stacked up so, of course, I set up on them. Within 2 minutes of getting my baits set, my first rod went down. I could tell it was a fair fish. Not huge - but decent. With that fish about half way back to the boat, another rod went down - uh oh!! All I could do was let it go. I put myself in high gear and wrestled the first fish into the boat, then went for the second rod. This one was a much better fish. After a few minutes, I got that fish into the boat and began to take a look at what I had. The first one I estimated at 25 lbs and got it back into the water. Got #2 onto the scale and - yeah - 48 lbs. Another PB :grin-big:

After getting that fish back into the water I started to work out the tangled mess I had with the rods and the third rod went down. Another really nice fish!! This one was REAL heavy. As I worked the fish in, it got under the boat and WRAPPED itself in my rear anchor!! I struggled with it for a little while and, after awhile, set the rod down and pulled the anchor line up. Up the fish came. What a gorgeous fish! It was significantly larger than the 48 I had just boated. I tried to get a hand into it's mouth to try to heave it into the boat, but no good. I had to let the anchor back out to try and figure out what to do. About that time the fish mustered a last bit of energy and popped the line. Off it went!! Oh well, another day. :crying: Does touching it count??

Anyway, I got one of my rods untangled, baited and back into the water, and started working on the other rods when I had another bite!! Another decent fish 28 lbs.

In the next two holes I boated two more fish, a 25 and 22, then had a fish pick up my bait and swim right to the boat and into a snag. I never knew it until I tried to tighten up the line.

Shortly after that, my quikrete anchor got hung and I had to leave it on the bottom. Tried to fish one more hole but it's tough when the boats swinging in circles on the anchor.

I picked up and headed home about 2:00.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Never ran into Fish Pimp today. I hope he was able to get bait.

/Scott

2. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Congrats on another Personal Best! Sorry that the biggun got off, I know the feeling man.:eek: I'm going fishing tommorow morning real early around here.
    Thank's for sharing the pics and report!

Zakk:)

3. gtva

gtva Member

State:
    Bassett, VA
    Looks like I'm going to have to head out to the James. Are there any areas to bank fish out there? That's a long way for me to pull the boat. Do they have any places out there like at Santee, where you can get a cabin or something and have docks or piers to fish from?
    Anybody fish the rivers above Buggs Island? That's more my end of the state.
    GT

4. gottafish

gottafish New Member

State:
    Chesapeake, VA
    GT, a boat's really the best way to fish the James. Bank fishing locations are few and far between. Those that exist most likely are not in a position that you could get your bait into a decent hole.

It's pretty much "run and gun" fishing this time of year. We hop from hole to hole marking and targeting the active fish.

/Scott

5. tank3544

tank3544 New Member

State:
    Fredericksburg, VA
    may as well chime in with my report

i fished a longgggggg ways away from where you did scott

we ended up boating a 48,32,26 and a whole load of single digit and teen fish .. we quit after returning to the main river and finding it completely unnavicable .. not sure if that's even a word but 5ft waves breaking over the bow every time isn't very pleasant

here's my 48
    http://www.geocities.com/jsherman16/john48.JPG

6. gottafish

gottafish New Member

State:
    Chesapeake, VA
    Nasty!! The river demands respect doesn't it?

I once swamped a bass boat in albemarle sound during a bass tournament. I left Little River which is where we had launched out of to go to some fish that I had been keeping an eye on in Perquimons river. The wind picked up on us big time while we were fishing. In trying to get back around to Little River, I punched the bow through a wave and filled the boat with water. Thank goodness it was warm and I managed to keep the motor running. Had to just ease along with the bow up with the bilge pump running until I could get the boat on plane again. I changed my fishing style after that one!!

/Scott

7. Bluecathunter

Bluecathunter New Member

State:
    Midlothian, Virginia
    Hey Scott, Congrats on the PB. Sorry to hear about the biggun in the anchor. You guys are hookin up pretty good and sounds like your having a good time at at too. Hope to be back on the water soon, still changin diapers and feeding on sleepless nights.

John, that water can get pretty nasty downriver, lots of water down that way. I only go down river if the winds are 10-15 or below, my boat just cant handle the white caps that well.

Good reports, hope to be back out soon.

8. Vacatfisher

Vacatfisher New Member

some of the places i fish from shore are henericus park near the gazeebo,point of rocks(appomattox)park,where the annabelle lee used to be at(its near a warehouse in shockoe(sp) bottom) and my most consistant catches of decent fish(12-30 lbs) come from private land in west point(mattoponi or pumunkey,cant remember) but there is a pier there near the boat ramp where im sure theres quality fish.....also ill be trying the park near the maury st. exit off 95 today......another spot is there is a pier at osborne landing.....ive caught a few in the 20 lb range within casting distance of that pier from a john boat.....

9. FISH PIMP

FISH PIMP New Member

State:
    Cross Junction, VA
    Congrats Scott!!!. Thanks for the pic and the report. Sounds like you had a great day. Unfortanetly mine wasn't as good. Until next week and congrats again.

Pete

10. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Excerp from today's local paper:
    NORFOLK, Va. - The bodies of two boys reported missing after failing to return from a fishing trip on the James River turned up in the Chesapeake Bay, a day after their father's body was found, police said Monday.
    The bodies of both boys were found shortly after midnight near a pier at the Naval Station Norfolk, Norfolk police spokesman Chris Amos said.
    The Coast Guard found the body of the father, 53, of Suffolk, on Sunday morning a mile south of the James River Bridge.
    A search for the family started Saturday morning after they failed to return from a fishing trip in Surry County.
    The Coast Guard sent out a search and rescue boat from Portsmouth and a helicopter from Air Station Elizabeth City, N.C., to look for them. A dive team from Fort Eustis and members from the Virginia Marine Resource Commission and police also aided in the search.
    Petty Officer Kip Wadlow said searchers found their 23-foot blue-and-white fishing boat named "Reel Naughty" near the Naval Reserve Fleet in the James. He said wind and snow caused bad water conditions Saturday night.

11. gottafish

gottafish New Member

State:
    Chesapeake, VA
    That's a darn shame!! My wife called me while I was on the river today to tell me this happened. I think it was her way of saying "are you sure you should be out there?"

I really don't understand why anybody would go out on a day like saturday onto unprotected water.

/Scott

12. tank3544

tank3544 New Member

State:
    Fredericksburg, VA
    yeah uh *cough* i don't know .. i was out there in semi unprotected water and it was a mistake on my part .. lucky enough for me my boat handled the waves just good enough to get me into tar bay to be protected

prayers go out to that family

13. gottafish

gottafish New Member

State:
    Chesapeake, VA
    hehe - that wasn't really directed at you Tank :rolleyes: These folks went out at the mouth of the James. Totally insane!! It's miles wide down there. You, at least, had the option of never leaving the creek if it was REALLY bad.

/Scott

14. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Sounds like a great day of fishing.:)
    Hope you have many more like it. But sounds like the waves can get bad there in a hurry.:sad:
    PEte

15. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Hey, guys, I only posted that article to point out the need to check weather forecasts, and pay attention to everything around, not to point out anyone, LOL. I never go fishing or hunting without checking the latest forecast. I'm fanatical about it to some degree, I suppose. I have vhf in my big boat, and handheld radios with weather for the small boat and hunting. I'm constantly thinking about safety, because things can, and do, go wrong so quickly.:)

16. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Hey, guys, I only posted that article to point out the need to check weather forecasts, and pay attention to everything around, not to point out anyone, LOL. I never go fishing or hunting without checking the latest forecast. I'm fanatical about it to some degree, I suppose. I have vhf in my big boat, and handheld radios with weather for the small boat and hunting. I'm constantly thinking about safety, because things can, and do, go wrong so quickly.:)
    I really enjoy reading all the posts about the James River...hope someday I can make it up that way and catch some.

17. gottafish

gottafish New Member

State:
    Chesapeake, VA
    Absolutely! It never crossed my mind that your post was intended as a "message". Come on up anytime. Finding a seat in a boat shouldn't be an issue.
    /Scott

18. tank3544

tank3544 New Member

State:
    Fredericksburg, VA
    well i did check the forcast .. i knew there would be high wind but that's why we tucked into a creek .. there was wind protection and fish were biting

my fault was never having been down that far when it was windy .. i had absolutely no idea the waves would get that big .. now i know and its SURE isn't happening again