James river in Virginia

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by FlatheadMan, Jun 24, 2006.

1. FlatheadMan

FlatheadMan New Member

State:
    Freedom,Pa
    Im planning a fishing trip for this year with a guide on the james river in virginia he said the later Sept,Oct was a better time there for the blues But cant fish that late because that will cut into my archery hunting but would like some feed back on which summer months you guys that fish for blue would recommend.Thanks

2. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    Well I guide for the blues on the Potomac about like the james and he's right the bigger fish will do better starting in late sept,oct. We still catch them in the summer time but not as many and with your money he's looking to give you the best trip he can. Thats why I dont book many rip in June July or August day here can hit upper 90's very fast and turn the cats off. Good luck on your trip and keep us posted the james is putting out some big cats.

3. FlatheadMan

FlatheadMan New Member

State:
    Freedom,Pa
    Thanks for the info

4. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    flatheadman i would put that trip off until jan after deer saeson goes out. i never fished the james but i started my fishing early this year around christmas and i got hooked real bad on cold water fishing for blues. seems to me the blues really move around in cold water and its alot easier to target them in colder water. maybe thats why your guy is telling you sept,oct.(cooler water)

5. bigkatsrus

bigkatsrus New Member

State:
    VA
    the bite is on right now .. but it'll soon slow as the feeding after the spawn only lasts so long

wait til january if you can .. some of the biggest fish caught are reported between december and march

6. ST Lunker

ST Lunker New Member

State:
    VA
    I've alwasy read about a lot of citation blues being caught out of the James in July. Hunt the deep waters around Jordan Point from what I've heard. Anyone else heard the same?