Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner

James River Flathead Catfish, partner wanted

1K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  gottafish 
#1 ·
As the warmer weather approaches I am looking to team up (drop a car that can handle 2 yaks) with another yaker to try the stretch of the James above Richmond for Flatheads.
Sometime soon would I would like to try either or both or the following trips.
Full day (Sat. or Sun. from Robious Park to Hugunot bridge including a portage around the Bosher dam.
Half day/evening after work, Hugunot bridge to Pony pasture rapids.
Lets see if we can work something out. I have a Saturn Vue with upright rack for my yak and it would handle a second on it's side. I think because of the public parks we would have to make it a day trip. No night access for parking as I understand it. My Wilderness Sys. Pamlico 135T SIK has an Eagle Cuda 128 FF, anchor systems and rod holders.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I'd love to join you Geek, but I'm all the way up here in Roanoke and I don't have a kayak, just a canoe. I've done a lot of kayaking up here and on the New River but never fished out of one. I've had a lot of Smallmouth and cats pull my boat around while fighting them. It's a ball isn't it?

#5 ·
I would like to do such a trip, but I would want to fish from afternoon throughout the night. I have a canoe and know how to use it, lol. Any good rapids through that stretch? :crazy: I like to float the river at night and fish for flatheads out of my canoe. Nothing like running riffles in the dark.:eek:oooh:. So leaving a vehicle parked overnight at the takeout would be a no-go? Do they have a boat ramp at said takeouts?

#6 ·
The next few weekends are tough for me, but I'm wanting to give it a go soon. I haven't been reading many posts lately and check for PMs once or twice a week. If you need to get in touch with me quick, pls send me an email. I think you have it. If not, let me know here or via pm and I'll send it to you.
/Scott

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.