James River Flathead Catfish, partner wanted

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by kayakgeek, May 16, 2006.

1. kayakgeek

kayakgeek New Member

State:
    Fredericksburg, VA
    As the warmer weather approaches I am looking to team up (drop a car that can handle 2 yaks) with another yaker to try the stretch of the James above Richmond for Flatheads.
    Sometime soon would I would like to try either or both or the following trips.
    Full day (Sat. or Sun. from Robious Park to Hugunot bridge including a portage around the Bosher dam.
    Half day/evening after work, Hugunot bridge to Pony pasture rapids.
    Lets see if we can work something out. I have a Saturn Vue with upright rack for my yak and it would handle a second on it's side. I think because of the public parks we would have to make it a day trip. No night access for parking as I understand it. My Wilderness Sys. Pamlico 135T SIK has an Eagle Cuda 128 FF, anchor systems and rod holders.

Attached Files:

2. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    I'd love to join you Geek, but I'm all the way up here in Roanoke and I don't have a kayak, just a canoe. I've done a lot of kayaking up here and on the New River but never fished out of one. I've had a lot of Smallmouth and cats pull my boat around while fighting them. It's a ball isn't it?

3. Otter

Otter New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I'd be happy to join you. I've been exploring many of the places you mention solo. I'm a relative newbie to flathead fishing and I haven't really gotten into 'em yet.

4. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    Check out my last post in Local Virginia Talk about summer Flatheads. If you need more info you can get in touch and I'll try to put you into some nice fish. Good luck guys!

5. SwiftWater

SwiftWater New Member

State:
    Central Virginia
    I would like to do such a trip, but I would want to fish from afternoon throughout the night. I have a canoe and know how to use it, lol. Any good rapids through that stretch? :crazy: I like to float the river at night and fish for flatheads out of my canoe. Nothing like running riffles in the dark.:eek:oooh:. So leaving a vehicle parked overnight at the takeout would be a no-go? Do they have a boat ramp at said takeouts?

6. gottafish

gottafish New Member

State:
    Chesapeake, VA
    The next few weekends are tough for me, but I'm wanting to give it a go soon. I haven't been reading many posts lately and check for PMs once or twice a week. If you need to get in touch with me quick, pls send me an email. I think you have it. If not, let me know here or via pm and I'll send it to you.
    /Scott