The United States Catfish Association Forum and Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to the forum, and I wish I had known it about before my second annual trip to virginia to go catfishing for really anything but had little results I'm wondering what I'm doing wrong. I was using a 8/0 circle hook with cut shad on a Carolina rig with a 3oz sinker and was dropping anchor off the bank casting into the channels with no luck we were putting out at anncarrows landing. Looking for any advice to catch more large fish or maybe some secret honey holes if anyone feels generous lol did catch a 23 inch rockfish though on the shad

·
Registered
9,405 Posts
I'm new to the forum, and I wish I had known it about before my second annual trip to virginia to go catfishing for really anything but had little results I'm wondering what I'm doing wrong. I was using a 8/0 circle hook with cut shad on a Carolina rig with a 3oz sinker and was dropping anchor off the bank casting into the channels with no luck we were putting out at anncarrows landing. Looking for any advice to catch more large fish or maybe some secret honey holes if anyone feels generous lol did catch a 23 inch rockfish though on the shad
Were you holding bottom only using 3oz? I would think you'd need a minimum 6oz at ancarrows. Cat Spawn has started which is why you probably had not so good results. Try deeper/cooler water. We've been in the 90s lately the water heats up very fast. Good luck on your next trip out

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Were you holding bottom only using 3oz? I would think you'd need a minimum 6oz at ancarrows. Cat Spawn has started which is why you probably had not so good results. Try deeper/cooler water. We've been in the 90s lately the water heats up very fast. Good luck on your next trip out
I thought they were all on bottom maybe not I was using fairly large pieces of cut bait, but what time of the year is the best time to fish for them you said they're spawning now?

·
Registered
9,405 Posts
You can still catch them as not all spawn at the same time but Mid-to-end of may through end of June they're pretty much deep into the spawn. Numbers of trophies in one day may be low to none. As soon as the spawn is over last week of June/first week of July they turn the feed bag on. 25lbs and under should still be attainable to hold you off. Night fishing will probably better but if you find some deeper water I'm sure the trophies are there. Saw that a fellow forum member caught some nice ones at ancarrows Saturday on cut eel, no trophies but he said he caught quite a few in the mid to upper teens

Attachments

·
Registered
41 Posts
You can still catch them as not all spawn at the same time but Mid-to-end of may through end of June they're pretty much deep into the spawn. Numbers of trophies in one day may be low to none. As soon as the spawn is over last week of June/first week of July they turn the feed bag on. 25lbs and under should still be attainable to hold you off. Night fishing will probably better but if you find some deeper water I'm sure the trophies are there. Saw that a fellow forum member caught some nice ones at ancarrows Saturday on cut eel, no trophies but he said he caught quite a few in the mid to upper teens
Hello Marylandhunter98 and welcome to the forum. That's actually me in the picture. I did pretty decent this weekend with several fish in the 10-17lbs range. I caught most of them early morning (started at about 6:45) and then the bite shut off at about 10:30 for the most part. ramon06 is absolutely correct though, at 3oz you won't be able to hold bottom in that area. I was having trouble with 5oz sinkers (I truly need to upgrade my gear). The mid day bite is probably gonna be tough due to the heat in anything close to shallow water.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts