James River fishermen are blessed

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by Mac-b, Mar 19, 2008.

1. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    I went to the promise land this past Monday (3-17-08) and I want to tell you guys, you are really blessed to have a fishery like the James River. Take care of it, because it is something else. I enjoyed my visit with Capt. Hugh's and playing with your hogs. Mac

2. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    Kinda anxious to hear the fishing report Mac.

3. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    Yeah, where's the report. What size hogs are you talking about?!?!? lol

You're right though. The river will spoil you. If I ever move one day out of state, unless I move to the Mississippi or Missouri river areas, I'm gonna be in a catfishing depression. I might have to take up bass or walleye fishing. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

4. Mac-b

State:
    North Caro
    Doug, we had a good day considering the weather conditions, plus a high pressure system coming in. We had 14 fish for a total weigh of 345 pounds. We had some teens, twenties, 35 pounder, 41 pounder, 42.5 pounder and a skinny 46.5" blue that only weighed 52.4 pounds. My partner and I lost several mighty big pull downs due to hang ups and just missing them. We fished with Capt. Hugh's, whom I found to be an excellent guide. Mac

5. vtfish

vtfish New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I just love this area. There are some big fish around here and getting bigger by the year. Nice fish

6. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    You're right about that. It's been a while since the state record was set. It's one cast away from being broken, I firmly believe it will happen soon. And hopefully by a member of some of these online boards.

7. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    In the first post Mac said we need to take care of the resourse and he hit the nail on the head. Everyone who posts here are CPR guys and gals which is why we have such a nice fishery. Glad the one big fish a day rule went in effect and wish we could get tropht fishery status for the James from Richmond down where no big fish can be removed. Trout guys are constantly pressuring the state successfully to designate this and that body of water to have restrictions out the wazoo to protect their trout. When I first went to Paraguay in 1977 you could catch monster cats and a whopper up to 50 pounds Salmon like fish called Dorado until your arms ached. Not anymore. You are hard pressed to catch a mess of eaters. In a brief 30 years a fishery was destroyed.

8. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    Congrats on the successful trip Mac! I keep saying I need to get down there and fish-man I need to get down there and fish!:smile2:

9. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    It does sound like a very good place to fish. Perhaps I will get the opportunity some time in the future. Congrats on the great fish!

10. Mac-b

State:
    North Caro
    I observed several boats with fishermen tearing up the Hickory Shad all day Monday. Some were anchor down and some were slow trolling. It appeared that those that had their anchor out did the best. I watched two fellows bring in 40 or more in an one hour period right off the back of their boat.

11. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    Mac, you need to get ready for a very strange phenomena.

I have been back for 2 weeks now.... and am sufferering serious withdrawl systems.

I've cried so much about it there are flood warnings in my area.... and I am not kidding, check the weather station!

It's coming.... be careful.

Congrats on a great trip!

Did Hugh cast your rod for ya? :wink:

12. Rickjr

Rickjr New Member

State:
    VA
    lol....I get the same way and live 20 mins. from the river..

13. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I'm not going this afternoon after fishing five days straight. Darn wind and storms, I am pacing around all nervous. Only cure is to go Friday after the front blows through.

14. muzkrat

muzkrat New Member

State:
    va.
    i was down last weekend and jonesing to get back. what a great place to spend the day. looking forward to meeting more BOC folks and looking forward to meeting some more of then big ole HAWGS

15. Mac-b

State:
    North Caro
    Shawn, I started off not doing anything, just sitting there when he put out the anchor, baited up and then he would put out his spread. Next thing you know I'm casting the side rigs and helping with the anchor. :angry:

You commented that the 46.5" fish looked larger than 52.4 pounds, well it is hard to get a good weigh when the good Capt. raised the net up with the scales and the side rim of the net is caught under his belly, know what I mean.:smile2:Someday, when that fish gets a belly on him, he is going to make someone very happy. He is a trophy cat in the making.

One of my buddies went to Santee Cooper Sunday and they outdid us on the James. They caught over six hundred pounds in fairly shallow waters. They caught a bunch of 30 to 50 pound blues in fourteen hours of fishing.

I am already furnishing my clients information about the James River and they will soon be calling Capt. Hughs. Most likely, I will be back there with my clients and assist the good Capt. if he wants me too. Mac

16. blacksheep

blacksheep New Member

State:
    NC
    I am glad you had a productive trip. This place will spoil U.....

Wishin I was fishing