James River - Changing tactics for warmer March weather

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by BigKahuna, Mar 2, 2007.

1. BigKahuna

BigKahuna New Member

State:
    Charles Town West Virginia
    Now that the weather is warming up, do the bigger cats begin moving out of their deep holes and spending more time in the shallower areas hammering all the baitfish? Last weekend I was marking allot of fish in the 12-20ft range. I noticed that allot of the deeper spots holding fish in Jan/Feb were clearing out. I am usually riding my MX bike by March, so generally only fish on the James Dec-Feb. After hearing all the tales of March and April fishing down there, between the cats and the stripers, I am going to be spending my spring down there. Besides, less broken bones fishing.

2. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy Active Member

State:
    Virginia
    In the spring, I like to fish channel edges near the flats. I fish 4 to 6 rods. Some out deep, some in 20 feet and some on the flats. In the shallow water try a three way swivel with the dropper line for the sinker 12-18 inches long. use a smaller circle hook and smaller piece of cutbait. You will catch both cats and stripers a plenty. My brother and I are going Sunday. We will be launching from deep bottom and fishing downstream. Hopefully the wind won't be to bad.

3. reddcat

reddcat New Member

State:
    Virginia
    we will also be fishing on Sunday ,kinda want to go below Jordan Point but I think the wind will make it miserable. May leave Deep Bottom and see what it looks downriver.

4. mbandjb

mbandjb New Member

State:
    Central Va
    Hey Guys,,
    Live in central Va. and well be coming down to the James In 2 weeks..
    Could I get direction to the boat landings a Deep Bottom and Osbornes.
    I will be coming from Richmond on will be getting on Rt 10...

thanks in advance......mike

5. mbandjb

mbandjb New Member

State:
    Central Va
    Hey JPritch,
    Thanks for the information.
    I didn't know that you could find it like that,,,,DUH....

Hopefully we will be able to fish Sat4-7 on the Chick river and come up river on Sunday,monday and tuesday...
    Thanks again,,mike b