James River Catfishing

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by Paraguayguy, Oct 8, 2005.

1. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Had to give it a try today. Arrived at Deep Bottom ramp about 4:00 PM. Only two trucks with trailers in the lot. Brother caught us a nice mess of Gizzard Shad with a cast net and off we went. Tried down around Shirley and Presquille. Marked a few fish but nothing would bite. Changed spots and bait every 20 mintes. Finally started to get bites at dusk and hooked only one dink 2 pounder. Never got the big hard knock down we were hoping for. Oh well, That's fishing. I probably won't go again until the water cools down more. It was 78 degrees today. Good luck to everyone fishing.

2. tank3544

tank3544 New Member

State:
    Fredericksburg, VA
    reports are dead .. don't feel bad .. i was out there last weekend with a bunch of friends on about a half a dozen boats and we had one big fish to show for it .. also seen a lot of reports with guys that have fished the river their whole lives getting skunked .. i too am done fishing it until the water has cooled and the reports heat up

side note: when i was out with those guys one of them hooked what was probably a sturgeon .. ended up breaking his rod (which was a huge heavy duty saltwater rod) and there is a report of a 120lb sturgeon caught somewhere down below the BH bridge this past week .. could make for an interesting winter if those suckers keep biting

3. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I love to hunt as much as fish. I have only been targeting big cats for two years. I have never fished in the fall as I spend my free time hunting. This fall I want to give it a try. Last Winter we went twice during the January warm spell and wore them out. We caught a mess of fish between 20 and 54 pounds. From late March though April, the bite was incredible. Is the fall as good as Spring? I'm about to die for some decent pullage. :rolleyes: Many thanks to the brothers who have helped me in the past.

4. tank3544

tank3544 New Member

State:
    Fredericksburg, VA
    fall is pretty well hit or miss .. its a transition period where they move to wintering holes, yet if you catch it at the right time you can clean house .. this is because in the fall they not only move but they feed up as well

frankly summer and early fall are bad in my opinion .. i try not to waste my time .. a couple more weeks when temps stay in the 40's and 30's at night we'll be ready to go

my best month was december last year .. we had a couple warm days and we absolutely killed them .. 11 fish in 6 hours with none under 20 pounds .. in fact all but 2 were between 30 and 50 .. i would say december, january and february are my best months with march and april sometimes being great

what i can't wait for is when the catfish bite is on and the striper are moving good .. nothing like having your catfish lines out and throwing a rattle trap around catching striper every other cast .. in fact now that i mention that last year in november i think it was we caught a dozen cats and half a dozen striper without pulling up the anchor .. can't wait for that again!

5. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    We hitsomestripe/ cat days last April that were pretty incredible ;)

6. Otter

Otter New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Hey Guys, I moved to Lynchburg recently and I've been checking out the James both above and below Lynchburg. I fished close to where Rt. 60 crosses in Nelson county Saturday. I thought I'd find good flathead water, but I struggled to find water deeper than 6 feet. I tried to catch catfish on live bluegills but got skunked. I had a few fish on, but it seemed like when I started reeling I could feel the fish pull the gills off the hook. On a positive note, the smallie bite was on and I got into some good fishing right before dark. Is there good flathead water between Lynchburg and Richmond?

Any advice would be very helpful.

-Kyle