James river catfishing trip

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by jwfish, Apr 16, 2006.

1. jwfish

jwfish Member

State:
    columbus ohio
    I would just like to thank everyone for the help in these threads getting ready for my trip with my daughter.Here is the fish caught that week.we got chris harris to take us out sunday on a cold front with 30 mile a hour winds we still got a 38-30-23-20-17-15-and a 10.I would be happy with a day like that but I don't think chris was.HE showed me alot about reading the structure and what to look for.Now for what me and my daughter got ,75 lb I caught 40lb my daughter caught then 37-34-30-27-24-22-23-20-20-18-17 and many smaller fish.My daughter had another big fish on friday for 20 min I should have throwen the anchor rope and chased the fish but I didn't and it wore through the leader I guess it was 60 +.I don't know how to post pitures on this thread but I have the 75 on each time I post.Thanks again Jerry and yes I will be coming back to the james

2. Bigmagic

Bigmagic New Member

State:
    Edwards Missouri
    I went with Chris back in March on a miserable day when no one was catching fish and he put us on fish all day! He is truly one of the top guides in the country IMHO. I'm glad you got the chance to go with him. I'll be going back out there in the fall. See ya on the water!

3. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Chris is the best James river guide and I'll tell you one day we caught 9 fish that weighed 349 lb and one was a 19lber.Thats a pretty good day for anyone but both of us were really disappointed everytime we would hook up and then realize it was only 40lbs.!!!!!!!The James will spoil you and you have to realize that Chris wants the Virginia record in the worst way.He like lots of us that fish the James frequently get "spoiled" by the abundance of big fish that are strictly caught and released."Just another 40 pounder" takes on real meaning on the James.Chris is also a fine gentleman as well as guide and a real pleasure to fish with.:)

4. jwfish

jwfish Member

State:
    columbus ohio
    Yea Chris is a great guy I talked with him yesterday and told him I was coming back in November and he told me to give him a call if I needed any help.You are right about the james spoiling you I have not seen so many big cats in my life.If coca cola had a plant near there I would bew putting my transfer in now.

5. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    I live on the upper James(Big Island). No big blues like that up here yet....just Flatheads.:)