James River Catfishing Report 24 Jan

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by bluecat69, Jan 25, 2010.

1. bluecat69

bluecat69 New Member

State:
    Tupelo, MS
    P_strouth (Paul) and his son Josh drove all the way from Wise, Va (about 400 miles one way) to fish the James River. They arrived Saturday and stayed at my place for the night. We got out on the river about 9am and went got some bait.
    Paul was a big time catfish tournament fisherman until a few years back when it was not fun for him anymore so he sold everything he had but he was wanting to get that fire going again so I said that I would try to get that fire going again by putting them on a citiation fish.
    We anchored up on our first spot and it wasn't long before Josh was getting warmed up on some 12-18 lbers. It wasn't long before he tied into a nice 27 lber. Paul was in the back of the boat fighting some monsters also (3-8 lbers). Paul also caught him a nice 5-7 lb bowfin, that was a first for him.
    The bite slowed and we did some scouting around and we marked some good fish on a hump. We set up and casted all the lines out and just barely got settled in when BAM a rod went down hard. Josh grabbed the rod and was fighting a nice fish that really didn't give a big fight until he got to the boat. A little bit of a fight an we had him in the net. The fish weighed in at 45 lbs so we got him a nice citiation fish. Shortly after another rod went down and Paul grabbed that one. Keeping up his luck he pulled in another 5 lber. We had to get a pic of that one also.
    We ended up catching a few more 20's and down fish the rest of the day.
    Paul and Josh are now hooked on the big fish of the James. It was a great day with good friends, beautiful weather and nice fish. All in all a great day.

Attached Files:

2. bluecat69

bluecat69 New Member

State:
    Tupelo, MS
    One last photo.

Attached Files:

3. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    Nice of you to take them out Mike. I'm sure Dad didn't mind his son catching the big ones, probably just as much fun as catching them himself.

4. ramon06

ramon06 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    Good stuff Mike, puttin some guys on a good fish. I'm sure they enjoyed and will make another trip down soon

5. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Glad you found a few nice ones to share with your pals.

6. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    Great trip man, congrats!

7. luckey wade

luckey wade New Member

State:
    ohio
    Good deal an Im sure they are HOOKED again.

8. screamnreels

screamnreels Member

State:
    Halifax county
    Great, spark the addiction again.. What a feeling. I love to put friends on the bigguns..

Thanks Mike

9. nanny patrol

nanny patrol Member

State:
    SC
    Good job. Sounds like a fun day

10. smoothkip25

smoothkip25 New Member

State:
    ohio
    Way to go guys sounds like a great day!

11. bigcattracker

bigcattracker Member

State:
    virginia
    any day out on the river is a good day. and when you catch some quality fish with friends its hard to beat. congrats on a good day of fishing.

12. p_strouth

p_strouth New Member

State:
    Louisville Tn
    Thanks Mike we had a great time. We are already talking about our next trip but i have to sell the stereo system 1st .thanks again

13. kathunter_64

kathunter_64 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Just now found this post. I had a lot of fun on the James. After fishing Santee, I never thought anything would compare. Now I beleive I have a new favorite place to go haha. I can't wait to go back. Hopefully with the tips you gave us, dad & I will be able to land some more good fish.

BTW do you have anymore of those king kat rods you'd wanna sell? If so, PM me and let me know a price and everything.

Thanks again for the trip mike.

14. katman#1

katman#1 New Member

State:
    South Carolina