James River Catfishing? Need Help (Richmond area)

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by Triple-L, Sep 24, 2009.

1. Triple-L

Triple-L New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Hello group! This is my first ever post. I have been fishing on the lakes of Va for years, Mostly Smith Mtn. and Lake Anna but my son and I have decided we want some of that big catfish action down on the James!

Since I am unfamiliar with the area I would like to ask a few questions before planning my trip.............

-where are the best places to put in a boat?
    (i would be coming down 95)

-I have a '04 Crestliner Bass Boat 19' w/ 90HP Johnson......Is this boat adequate for the waters on the James? I noticed from pics that the boat of choice seems to be the off shore center consoles... Would my boat do ok in the rough "choppy" water? Do many others catfish from bass boats?

-Does anyone know of any lodging in the area with access to the river? (docks, ramps, etc)

Any other helpful info that would make my trip safer and more enjoyable please share. ..........

Thanks so much

2. bluecat69

bluecat69 New Member

State:
    Tupelo, MS
    Welcome to the BOC.
    Your boat will be fine on the river. I have seen canoes to big, big boats out there. Just make sure that if the wind is blowing that you avoid from Hopewell south due to the open water will get rough. Your boat will handle it but will make for a really rough ride. I personally like to fish from Deep Bottom up to Richmond. There are plenty of spots that have produced some really big fish.
    The fishing is picking up and we have tied into some good ones lately.
    On Sep 11 there was a 7 foot 300 lb sturgeon caught so there is no telling what you will tie into.
    Find some spots where there is structure and current and you will find fish.
    I put my boat in at Dutch Gap which is right off of Route 10. It has a good ramp with plenty of parking and have not had any problems with vandals (knock on wood).
    As far as the lodging on the river, I do not know of any like you describe but maybe someone with more knowledge on that will chime in.
    Good luck.
    Mike

Last edited: Sep 24, 2009

3. Triple-L

Triple-L New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Thanks for the info you shared with me..........I look forward to my first trip already! After some extensive searching for a lodge with river access I did find a lodge/marina on the Chickahominy River w/ a motel, seafood restaurant, bar, and boat docks/slips........

Have you ever fished that river much?

www.riversrest.com

4. screamnreels

screamnreels Member

State:
    Halifax county
    Welcome to the BOC Larry. May I suggest hiring a guide first, my partners did and don't regret it, money well spent. I wouldn't be scared to fish the james in a jon boat, and in most places we fish you should have no problems, however for me its very easy to get turned around (tidal water flows both ways lol). We always put in at dutch gap, close to some very good fishing and bait. May I suggest getting a gill net and license, you won't regret it! Like posted earlier down toward hopewell the water gets big and could get very rough. We also ventured that way to fish some new water yesterday. Keep us posted, there is a world of great knowledge here and even better people.

Tight lines and best of luck

Chris

5. screamnreels

screamnreels Member

State:
    Halifax county
    I forgot dutch gap is very close to food and lodging, only a few miles.

Chris