James River catfish Report 1-14-06

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by FISH PIMP, Jan 16, 2006.

1. FISH PIMP

FISH PIMP New Member

State:
    Cross Junction, VA
    Well the first trip to the James was a windy one. I was able to get fresh shad at Fin & Skin for $25.00 a dozen. I got out on the water around 12:00 and headed to the Dutch Gap. I set four rods out and about 1/2 hour later had one solid knock down but didn't get hooked up. I stayed in that area for awhile with out any luck. After that I rode around looking for some decent holes. I found a few and was marking some fish but my buddy just couldn't take the wind any longer so we called it a day. Maybe next weekend. Until then TIGHT LINES!

Pete

2. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    You went fishing, Good for you

Danny

3. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

State:
    Pataskala, Ohio
    Name:
    Clarence
    Wow, $25.00 for a dozen shad? I cast net all my shad. But good to see you got out and fished. ;)

4. Bluecathunter

Bluecathunter New Member

State:
    Midlothian, Virginia
    Hey Fishpimp just give one of us on the board a call and we can hook ya up with some bait. I and most run a gill net and can get plenty of bait and its free. The frozen doesnt work as well as the fresh for the big boys.

5. FISH PIMP

FISH PIMP New Member

State:
    Cross Junction, VA
    I felt that $25.00 was alittle on the high side too. The owner of Fin & Skin said that he doesn't know where all you guys are catching your bait because he is having a real tough time finding any. Any of you guys going out this weekend.

6. Bluecathunter

Bluecathunter New Member

State:
    Midlothian, Virginia
    I wont be out this weekend but here it is in a nutshell, castnet or gill net. I use a cast net most of the time just because i know where to get bait pretty quickly.

Bait in the summer can be caught on just about any flat where a feeder creek comes into the river. Deep bottom poles near flat, behind presquile, sides of presquile, hopewell, tarr bay, herrining creek....etc.

Bait in the winter can be had anywhere on the flats behind the power plant where the water is a lot warmer, barge pitts, grubbs, sprayers. If you are fishing down river the creeks are most productive, herring creek, powell creek, wards creek.

Summer bait is always easier than winter bait but if your in the right place winter can produce more in less time. Hope no one is upset about the devulging of bait locations but the river has always had enough bait for everone and doesnt look like the continued harvest is hurting anything.

Good Luck, hope this helps.

7. gottafish

gottafish New Member

State:
    Chesapeake, VA
    Fish Pimp, I'm sorry I never ran into you. I pulled out at about 2:00 after I lost my rear anchor. You were parked right next to me. I guess you didn't stay and fish sunday? Good thing - it was a nasty one.

I expect to be out at least one day next weekend. Don't know where I'm launching yet but if we're in the vicinity I'll be sure and hook you up with bait.

/Scott

8. tank3544

tank3544 New Member

State:
    Fredericksburg, VA
    yeah what bluecat said .. right now you want to concentrate back towards the barge or spray pitts .. when you leave osbourne going downriver after you pass the power plant and dutch gap boat launch, about a mile down river the bridge will be right in front of you .. on your right is the golf course .. just turn right and head back towards the pits .. you'll pass a duck blind on your way .. usually with warmer weather like we've been having the shad pull out of the pitts and concentrate from that duck blind back to the main river .. a cast net will get you plenty .. when the weather is colder they move back towards the spray pits

its kinda tough to get back there without getting stuck so drop me an email and i'll send you directions .. ask allgood i got him back there no problem .. my email is fishintech@gmail.com

anyway like bluecat said, sometimes its tougher to find during winter but when you do its usually all right there and you're done in a couple minutes .. summertime they're ALWAYS by the deep bottom launch but throwing a cast net will probably take you a bit longer

anyway i'm heading out friday .. if you'll be out let me know .. 25 bux is wayyyyyyyyy too much to pay for bait that works not even half as good as fresh .. especially when the river is crawling with bait

willis its fine to share that info .. i constantly feel bad seeing people running around for hours with their cast nets that just don't know where the bait is .. i gave some guys about 10 big cutters the other day .. seemed 5 minutes with the gill net was just a litttttleeeeeeee too long (bait was REALLY stacked the other day)

i'd almost suggest making a bait locations thread and asking for it to be stickied but i'm afraid of people exploiting it .. i know there's tons of bait out there but at some point the river will be able to let out no more