James river by the power plant

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by wallerus, Aug 17, 2009.

1. wallerus

wallerus New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Anybody here fish by the Surrey power plant. Will be going on my first east coast cat hunt there on sat night. Any help would be appreciated. Not looking to set the world on fire but few nice ones would be good. Gotta taste for some fried cat, please don,t tell the Doc. Used to catch em in central California, no monsters tho.

2. Madtom

Madtom New Member

State:
    virginia
    Good luck. I do most of my fishing up above the chick. I have heard of some big ones being caught in the warm water in the winter. Let us know how it goes.

3. wallerus

wallerus New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Where is there a ramp up by the Chick on the south side. I have to put in at Rescue and cruise up past the ghost fleet. It would be nice to put in closer. Got plenty of fuel but its a bit of a ride.

4. millfarm

millfarm New Member

State:
    va
    hello---fish the upper james---1 80 lb. last weekend---usually have more luck at plant in winter

5. rclark

rclark New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Wayne, Stephen and Bill.. Welcome to all of you to BOC.. Tons of info and willing people to help out with knowledge of catfishing on here :big_smile::big_smile:

Randy

6. bluecat69

bluecat69 New Member

State:
    Tupelo, MS
    Welcome all to the BOC. I'm not sure what the fishing is like down that way but its good up around my area.
    I would say use shad, eels or maybe even some mullet for bait and you should come up some nice ones. I've been catchin big ones during the heat of the day in 8-14 foot of water. Keep the small ones and but put the big ones back to grow bigger.
    Good luck and enjoy your time on the water.
    Mike

7. wallerus

wallerus New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I never keep anything over 5 lb. Any bigger than that I don't like the taste.