James River Blues

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by Bluecathunter, Oct 21, 2005.

1. Bluecathunter

Bluecathunter New Member

State:
    Midlothian, Virginia
    I have mainly fished a fishfinder rig with 10/0 Owner on a 80lb leader and a 8-10 oz weight but recently started putting one or two rods out with 5 inch corks and no weight just bait on the hook and seem to get a lot of big smacks on this rig. Does anyone use this type of rig? I usally will cast it up into structure so that it is suspended. I have been using the same circle hook as on the fish finder but am going to switch to a 10/0 J hook this weekend and see what happens. Im just trying to give the big blues a different look at the bait and wanted to get some ideas .

2. tank3544

tank3544 New Member

State:
    Fredericksburg, VA
    i never really got into drift fishing baits

i do know a bunch of guys that will float baits across flats and near edges during the summertime .. i can't really see how that will work during the winter unless its unseasonably warm again this winter (which it's not looking like)

for the answer you're looking for it DOES work however i haven't heard of a fish over 20lbs caught on a rig like that

3. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    Cant help with the james ,But i dift fish alot on the Potomac from march until around this time of year. Most of the time in 2 to 10 ft of water and over drop offs. i have had many blues over 20 lbs. I use 8/0 j hooks in summer and spring and fall 10/0 j hooks. 80lbs spiderwire leaders on 65 lbs spiderwire line .has worked good so far .